Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

old greek handwriting translation

Article about: Hi guys, im not sure i've put this in the correct section, but i am trying to find out what exactly is written on the edge of this blade (the translation is also dated 1895) So far my resear

Default old greek handwriting translation

Hi guys, im not sure i've put this in the correct section, but i am trying to find out what exactly is written on the edge of this blade (the inscription is also dated 1895)

So far my research has led me to believe that this is "old" greek writing.
    does anyone have any idea as to what it says?
    or anywhere that i can try to translate it?
    or infact any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated as i don't know where to try next!

many thanks for your time, and sorry for the poor joined pic!
    old greek handwriting translation

Hello,
    I've only just registered to help out with this. This is not "old" greek writing but simply Greek in a cursive (and not always grammatical) script. These sort of texts or ditties are usually found on the blades of home-made knife/daggers so I guess this is something of the sort? The text reads "I am able, my master, I am able, I do not fear, where I find my enemy, I order(?) him straightaway!" + a couple of exclamations . Date wise, it could date from the 1850s to the 1950s.

Quote by Arkas62 View Post
    Hello,
    I've only just registered to help out with this. This is not "old" greek writing but simply Greek in a cursive (and not always grammatical) script. These sort of texts or ditties are usually found on the blades of home-made knife/daggers so I guess this is something of the sort? The text reads "I am able, my master, I am able, I do not fear, where I find my enemy, I order(?) him straightaway!" + a couple of exclamations . Date wise, it could date from the 1850s to the 1950s.
    Perhaps rather than "order" maybe it could be "dispatch", as in:

"I am able, my master, I am able, I do not fear, where I find my enemy, I dispatch him straightaway!"????

Just a thought.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Arkas62 View Post
    Hello,
    I've only just registered to help out with this..
    many many thanks!!
    i have been trying to decipher this for a long time!!!

old greek handwriting translationold greek handwriting translationold greek handwriting translation

Hi Big Ned
    that was the only bit I couldn't easily decipher, as one letter is facing the other way around, but "dispatch" does not match any meaning of the greek verb used. So I'll stick to "order" + question mark! Bear in mind that the majority of these were home-made (at least the inscriptions), and the artists weren't that literate. This style of ditty, is also reminiscent of prison folklore/graffiti. Cheers
    Arkas62

Hello bananamafia
    a pleasure, and apologies for missing the already-provided date. This style of dagger certainly looks caucasian at first sight, but one can see these in Greek museums, dating from the 1821 war of Indepence, onwards, through the early 20th c. struggles, turkish/balkan borders being quite fluid; when I manage posting pictures I'll provide a few examples, they were great for completing a "wild guerilla" look - apart from being perfectly serviceable. Out of curiosity, was this found in the UK?
    Best Regards
    Arkas62

Yes this was found in the UK, at the back of a local charity shop.
    Edged items are not normally my thing, but just thought this warranted further research!
    and i would love to see some of your examples when you manage to post them up!

Hello.
    Its a little tricky but i think i found it.
    It is not order or dispatch because it does not say διαταζο (διατάζω its the right spelling) but θυσιαζο (θυσιάζω) which mean sacrifice or simply kill.
    Greetings

Stratos

Hello all,
    Stratos has done it, he's absolutely spot on! It does say "sacrifice" in greek, it needed to be looked at with a different set of eyes. Well spotted, Stratos.

Geia soy megale Strato