Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

OSS Push dagger or otherwise?

Article about: Howdy folks, I've recently gotten this from ebay and the seller said it was a royal navy boarding spike but I have my doubts. I apologize for the pictures as they're The ones from the sale p

?

Default OSS Push dagger or otherwise?

Howdy folks, I've recently gotten this from ebay and the seller said it was a royal navy boarding spike but I have my doubts. I apologize for the pictures as they're
    The ones from the sale page and they aren't great. I'll take more when it comes in. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!

Greetings,

I viewed this piece when it was initially offered on eBay. For my part, once I viewed the spike bayonet's scabbard (& frog?) and the rough finish in terms of the weld of handle and spike, I realized it (at best) fell under the auspices of a "Theater Made" piece.

At worst, most items constructed from surplus spike bayonet parts/scabbards are post-war creations as spike bayonet scabbards were needed (during wartime) for their original intended purpose.

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Markings on it? Broad arrow? A very crude item for such a nice scabbard.

CBH
    ?

A push stiletto with a round handle wouldn't be very practical in combat.
    It would make knowing your blade angle difficult, and would be easily defected.
    I'd think a post-war incarnation, I've made a couple OSS style sleeve daggers myself from spike bayonets.
    Wish I had kept them whole.

Could be theatre made, but very difficult to be certain. Could be 10 or 20 years old. In WW1 various companies made push daggers but quality was far better than what we see here. Without provenance I'd avoid it.