Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

P1907 bayonet scabbard

Article about: Hey everyone, I got a P1907 and the scabbard says "mangrovite 42" From what I hear, this means that the scabbard is produced in australia. Does the 42 mean that it was produced in

Default P1907 bayonet scabbard

Hey everyone,

I got a P1907 and the scabbard says "mangrovite 42" From what I hear, this means that the scabbard is produced in australia. Does the 42 mean that it was produced in 1942? This would seem logical, but I have seen many "world war 1" bayonets with a scabbard labelled "mangrovite 43"

So are these all mismatched?

Thanks,

Quinn

4md
    ?

Default Re: P1907 bayonet scabbard

yep 42 means 1942....ww1 bayonets were reissued in ww2 and given new scabbards if required. Although the bayonet and scabbard could have been matched up by a collector post war. I have a 1918 dated british manfactured sanderson bayonet with australian service markings and a mangrovite 42 scabbard
    mismatched but doesnt mean its not correct ww2 issue

okay, thanks. So this means that the bayonet could have been reissued? It is a siamese "wild tiger corps" p1907. It's in alright condition, but I know the price is half of what it could be without the proper. I at least hope that it wasn't matched up by a collector!
    Does it seem right that the aussies would be using Siamese p1907's issued in 1920?

4md
    ?

now knowing that its a siamese makes a difference as i dont think these were issued in australia as far as i know.
    these bayonets were refurbished ex united kingdom blades stamped with the tiger head. The scabbards issued with these bayonets were the normal leather ones but apparently the tropical conditions caused them to rot. the leather part was then replaced with steel and braised to the mounts.
    my best guess is that the bayonet was purchased without the scabbard and matched by a dealer/collector.
    these bayonets are collectable as i think only 10000 were supplied. personally i think its a desirable item even without the correct scabbard

Never seen one with a steel scabbard. Lots of these were used by Pakistan and just recently surplussed. You can still find them in service there if you look.

Thanks 4md. Yes, i am still happy with it!
    browning, neither have I. Wow, I dont know how id feel using a 100 year old bayonet in service...

Hello-'Mangrovite' is the Mangrovite Belting Pty Ltd and the no. is the year of manufacture-the scabbards were made in large no.s and as the P07 bayo was made until 1945 in Australian use they are common as 'new' replacements for older bayos-leather doesn't last in service very well over-India still uses large no.s of the No.III SMLE and 7.62mm No.2A1 models for the paramilitary police with various P07 bayo variants refurbished over the last 100 years.

thanks lithgow!

Quote by browningautorifle View Post
    Never seen one with a steel scabbard. Lots of these were used by Pakistan and just recently surplussed. You can still find them in service there if you look.
    I know that the p1907 bayonet can still be seen in Indian service esp Police and no doubt also in Pakistan, but are you saying that Pakistan was using the Siamese Wild Tiger Corps marked P1907 in service ?