Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sgain Dubh ... 1903 Balmoral Highlanders

Article about: This wee sgain was commissioned by King Edward V11 in 1903. The King commissioned The silversmith William Robb of Ballater to make 25 sets of uniform accessories, cap badge, plaid broach, be

CBH
    ?

Great collection , please keep posting more . I also have a question about dating a sporran , can you give me any idea when this was made ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sgain Dubh ... 1903 Balmoral Highlanders   Sgain Dubh ... 1903 Balmoral Highlanders  

Sgain Dubh ... 1903 Balmoral Highlanders  

?

Ive struck a blank on the TD and I had a bloody good look, so now suspect it stands for Traditional Dress. Looks to be a pipeband sporran, tho with the right badge it could be a Queens own Cameron Highlanders sargents sporran, or regimental Seaforth or Cameron highlanders pipers sporran

Hi Rezaf,

Thats a superb Sgain Dubh and great to see this item by Robb of Ballater. I lived in Ballater full time for 10 years and still own a holiday home there. As I am sure you are aware Ballater is the nearest place of any size to Balmoral and there is a strong Royal connection. Its not uncommon to just bump into the Royals, I recall once queing behind Harry and William in the local Co-op once when they were buying amongst other things a lottery ticket.

Aaand its Whisky...no e. Not this side of the Atlantic anyway!!!!

?

The story goes that the King was quite hands on with the commission, had input as to designs and then Robb made 2 samples of each piece of the uniform before the King choose the ones he wanted ........ What a life huh, And my bottle of Glenmorangie is Whisky ... no e..... thats how we do it at the bottom of the pacific

?

Quote by rezarf View Post
    The story goes that the King was quite hands on with the commission, had input as to designs and then Robb made 2 samples of each piece of the uniform before the King choose the ones he wanted ........ What a life huh, And my bottle of Glenmorangie is Whisky ... no e..... thats how we do it at the bottom of the pacific
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Glenmorangie...nice but I do like a little Jura

Laphroaig ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2