Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet

Article about: Hi all Heres a bayonet from my collection some of you may have not seen before and find interesting. A Snider Carbine 2nd-type sawback sword bayonet, made specifically for the New Zealand or

Default Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet

Hi all
    Heres a bayonet from my collection some of you may have not seen before and find interesting.
    A Snider Carbine 2nd-type sawback sword bayonet, made specifically for the New Zealand order of Snider artillery carbines supplied by R.A.S.F Enfield.

These bayonets were a conversion of the 20 inch blade Pattern 1875 bayonet for the Martini Henry rifle, with the modifications being carried out in 1880-1881 by Enfield.

The conversion was expensive at the time, primarily as the pommel was replaced to bring the leaf spring onto the left hand side (to match the 1879 artillery sawback bayonet pattern).

Records indicate that only approximately 2100 were converted....... making this one of the world's RAREST British Military issued bayonets.

This particular bayonet is marked with the WD mark and Enfield R.S.A.F inspection mark on the ricasso, along with 9/80 (the conversion date) on the ricasso and the low rack number 266 on the crosspiece (this would have matched the carbines serial number)

Enjoy
    Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet   Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet  

Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet   Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet  

Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet   Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet  

Impressive and seldom seen...but a Vicious brute-enough to make your hair crawl when thinking of it being used!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Great find Jason , i really like that one !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I have never seen one of these before.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Even rarer with the scabbard..i think i have one of these somewhere, and ive definitely got a snider artillery carbine..really nice score

?

Very nice to see.

Thanks for the feedback everyone... always happy to share. This is one of my personal favourites. I have another example as well as a few more early New Zealand related baynotes which I will show soon.

Jason

Heres my other Snider sawback. This one has no rack number and makers mark is very faint. The blade has been polished (not by me) to remove some rust but still a nice example.
    Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet   Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet  

Snider carbine 2nd-type sawback bayonet  

Might be worth adding that the Snider carbine and bayonet were ordered by the New Zealand Colonial Government to equip the newly formed Armed Constabulary force which took over the role of British Imperial regiments that were being withdrawn from New Zealand. The Armed Constabulary was more a military force than a Police force and was active in the later stages of the NZ Land Wars.