Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

something for the fire place

Article about: Picked up this cool set

Ingenious use of the Gras bayonet. Anyone have any idea when these adaptions date from?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Ingenious use of the Gras bayonet. Anyone have any idea when these adaptions date from?
    I don't think there is an identifiable time period beyond " mid to late 19th posssibly early 20th century" if you include items that had been in the country for some time. Around that time there would have been quite a lot of this kind of "surplus" in the south of England due to the history of the period. Spoken history (I never saw it written) has it that large amounts of this type of "scrap" was used as balast in the holds of ships returning to England having delivered men and supplies to the continent. I don't recall ever seeing two of these the same suggesting that they were all made in different places or by different craftsmen in small numbers. They would no doubt have been considered very smart and stylish in their day.

I hope this helps.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2