Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Spike bayonet NO4 mkII

Article about: Another purchase from the antiques fair. Got this for £25 which is about the normal price these go for. Quite a brutal looking “blade”. Looks like a massive nail for impaling. I will need to

?

Default Spike bayonet NO4 mkII

Another purchase from the antiques fair.

Got this for £25 which is about the normal price these go for. Quite a brutal looking “blade”. Looks like a massive nail for impaling. I will need to try find some webbing/Frog for this item to be held in.

Would i be fine trying to remove the light surface rust that has appeared? WD40?
    Also any assistance on finding a maker would be helpful. Only real defining mark i could find was “W” on the scabbard. Thanks for the assistance.

Spike bayonet NO4 mkII

Spike bayonet NO4 mkII

Spike bayonet NO4 mkII

Spike bayonet NO4 mkII

A nice No.4 'Pig Sticker'! Keep in mind that the thrust would have had the weight of the rifle and the momentum of a charge behind it. Not pretty, but effective. Far less likely to get lodged in the enemy's ribs than a traditional sword bayonet!

Looks very similar to my own one, made by Long Branch. If the marking I can faintly make out is an 'LB', like the one below, it's a Canadian example.

Spike bayonet NO4 mkII

Regards, B.B.

?

Unfortunately im not sure it is LB. might be a “U” or a “D”

The font looks the same, and though it's hard to make out, it does appear to be the same marking on my own bayonet, just the other way up. Hopefully the same folks who assisted me with my own bayonet show up to clear things up.

B.B.

?

Wait i think you might be right, maybe the bloke stamping these didn’t do it hard enough and the bottom half of the B aint properly engraved

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Wait i think you might be right, maybe the bloke stamping these didn’t do it hard enough and the bottom half of the B aint properly engraved
    It's quite probable that it was a soft stamp. Millions of them were produced. A few were bound not to be perfect.

Now you just need the Long Branch rifle to go with it!

B.B.

?

Jb,

The bayonet marking could be an LB but I'd need to see a sharper photo of it to be sure.

Ive never seen the W marking for the scabbard but there was a British scabbard contractor, Wembley Tool Co. so it might be their marking.

Everyone has a different opinion regarding cleaning / rust removal. I spray with WD40 and leave for a couple of days then rub off. If there is still rust after that, I'll take to it lightly with a very fine steel wool.

Alex

?

Could also be a M of course haha. I will post better photos of markings after school