Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Strange Gerber Mk2 knife

Article about: No serial number.

Default Strange Gerber Mk2 knife

No serial number.Strange Gerber Mk2 knifeStrange Gerber Mk2 knifeStrange Gerber Mk2 knifeStrange Gerber Mk2 knifeStrange Gerber Mk2 knifeStrange Gerber Mk2 knifeStrange Gerber Mk2 knife

I wish I had some good information for you but I have never seen one like it
    before.

My guess is that it's from the 1980s. IMO it could be a special order piece
    or, worst case, is that it's a common knife that's been messed with to try
    and increase resale value. I hope it turns out to be the former and not
    the later.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Very nice and hold onto it. Gerber had a couple of runs on these starting in 1967 with about 4000 being made that year. First ones had a grey steel grip with non-serrated wasp blade. Also produced in the 80s with grip handle like yours. Wish I could help with the value. Any number stamped on the knife anywhere?

No numbers on it at all. It appears to be original finish. Has not had serial number removed , never had one.

Quote by Gungadd View Post
    No numbers on it at all. It appears to be original finish. Has not had serial number removed , never had one.
    Am into the older Gerbers and Buck knives myself. Will do a little more digging on info. Some older models may not have as many markings such as steel used. Some models utilized 440C.

Were these black Mk2s made for a particular group? I see that the one posted has a US Army button
    on it. Or perhaps they were sold through the PX near the Ranger schools.

I am guessing that the one posted is from the 80's because of the wide blade.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Nothing much to add except agree with the dating, upright sword with the line going back into the G on the Gerber logo, would date it between 1982 and 1989.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Were these black Mk2s made for a particular group? I see that the one posted has a US Army button
    on it. Or perhaps they were sold through the PX near the Ranger schools.

I am guessing that the one posted is from the 80's because of the wide blade.
    Think you"re right Chopperman. Article I read said these were available through a PX at one time but looked to aggressive or some nonsense like that. Oh yeah meant to mention that handle may be aluminum on some. Nice lookin pig-sticker.

Can you direct me towards this article?

Quote by Gungadd View Post
    Can you direct me towards this article?
    I just typed in Vintage Gerber Mark 2 fighting knives on Google and a few different articles on these models popped up. Made some with jagged blades and some without over the years. Found the sheath's to be interesting too.