Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sword I inherited

Article about: Hello all I am new here. I just inherited a sword that looks to be old, but I can't find anything out about it no matter what I search online. I'm hoping someone here has seen this before or

Default Re: Sword I inherited

Quote by Angela View Post
    One more thing Steve. How would I go about researching this further? Any recommended contacts? I have no idea where to start other than on Google which as I said didn't tell me too much.
    Thanks again =o)Angela
    Angela, you will not find any information if you are looking for US swords.
    It is definitely British.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I hate to be difficult , but i think your weapon is actually a Royal Artillery officer's sword (or Royal Canadian Artillery possibly... same sword anyway). It most likely dates from the first half of the 20th Century. It has all the features of an RA blade, specifically the half chequered backstrap (metal strip on the handle) and triple-bar knucklebow.

To verify this, have another look at the scroll and see if it says UBIQUE on it. If so, it's definitely artillery. Not all have this decoration, but some do.

Rob

?

Thanks a million Steve. I can see the mark clearly on yours. The letters E and D are worn on mine and the little symbol that is between the P and D on yours is barely visible as well on mine as it's worn away too. But yes!! that is the symbol I can see on mine. Now, around yours, there is a fancy etching that mine does not have or at least cannot be seen on it now. I haven't removed the oil coating that is on the blade to protect it as I have no idea what to use to put back on after I have a look for markings around the crown area. What would I put back on the blade?
    Yes Rob, it could be Royal Canadian Artillery as I am in Ontario, Canada. Thank you so much for your great input as well. I am so much wiser and know much more since posting and getting such great info from you guys than I was with 4 hours of searching Google today. Once again, thanks a million to everyone that helps me track this swords history down.
    Angela

A good quality gun barrel oil would work to protect the blade. It might be a good idea to wipe it clean and reapply fresh oil anyway. You say it was inherited, is this a family piece? If it is, it might be possible to research if any of your relatives were in the Canadian Artillery and tie it down to someone.

Rob

I don't know why I thought you were from the States, Angela.........!

I'd leave it be, but if you must remove the coating, you could
    wipe it down afterwards with a light oil to give it
    some further protection.

Rob, you're right, it could be RCA !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I have removed the coating and any numbers or markings by the crown etching are worn away. Nothing at all visible. =( I reapplied a remington gun oil to the blade.
    I am not sure where my Great Uncle got the sword from. He was 91, I have to make contact with some other family members to see what I can find out. Compared to what I knew yesterday at this time about the sword, I have a wealth of knowledge now. Thanks once again to the great people on this forum for all the help.
    Angela

Regards,

Steve.

?

WOW!!! Steve, Thanks so much. You have found the exact sword I have. However, it's not in near as pristine condition as the one you found the image of above. It was amazingly gorgeous at one point in it's life. Now, it's still beautiful, but not near as the one you have found.
    Thanks once again and if I can give more rep than I have already I will be doing so. You've been invaluable in helping me to learn about this sword.
    Angela

Of course the one pictured above is brand new, current model, from a well established
    Canadian military uniform and accoutrement company.

Yours has probably been polished and cleaned a lot over it's lifetime, and that is why
    the etched details are so faint - the blade may have accumulated some rusty spots
    along the way as well, which could have been 'cleaned' off with steel wool.
    This is not recommended, but folks will do it - this method
    removes any blade etching very quickly.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2