Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark

Article about: Hello, Annoyed from this ads?   They’re on a sword stick or cane which looks like the sort of thing a Brit or Commonwealth soldier may have slung under his arm while out and about. I’ve

?

Default Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark

Hello,

They’re on a sword stick or cane which looks like the sort of thing a Brit or Commonwealth soldier may have slung under his arm while out and about.

I’ve had it quite a long time but have never been able to find out who made it so I’d be for ever grateful if someone here can tell me anything about it.

Either side of the word Solingen is a stamp with an E inside it and up near the handle is what looks like a poorly stamped 5. On the opposite side of the blade to the 5 is a stamp I can’t decipher – H something possibly?

It doesn't scream quality so perhaps something more affordable for the lower ranks?

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark   Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark  

Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark   Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark  

reminds me of fake swordstick from the 60s/70s.

I'd like to see a photo of the item in full length...the photos don't tell me much at all...
    Glenn

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    reminds me of fake swordstick from the 60s/70s.
    Oh really, that's not good. What exactly is it that reminds that it looks like a fake, is it the marks or the quality?

For me a sword stick is a sword stick unless it's all dressed up pretending to be something special whereas this is just a plain, cheap looking cane or stick so, I won't be annoyed if it is more modern than I thought. I must admit it looks like it has some age but then anyone from the 60s/70s has some age too

Glenn, the light has been poor all day but I'll try to take some pics of the whole thing tomorrow, with a bit of luck one of you might be able to say whether it's definitely 60s or something else.

Cheers
    Tony

This may actually be an old craftsman's tool...Looking forward to more photos tomorrow...
    Glenn

- - ------- - -

?

Looks like it was a fencing foil that has been turned in a sword cane the markings signify type and size of blade, size 5 large for adults. Can't help with makers mark though.

?

Quote by duska View Post
    Looks like it was a fencing foil that has been turned in a sword cane the markings signify type and size of blade, size 5 large for adults. Can't help with makers mark though.
    Hello,

That's an interesting thought and fencing would have been something practiced in the military. Now I am hoping it really is older than 40 or 50 years.

Here are more pictures, it's not an easy thing to take detailed pictures of so I'll include some measurements.

Overall length 775mm
    Length of blade 625mm
    Length of handle 95mm
    Thickest part of blade 10 x 7mm
    Cane diameter 24mm

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark   Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark  

Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark   Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark  

Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark  

?

Ok so the maker is obviously unknown but does anyone have anything to add to the theory that it’s possibly a 40 or 50 year old made cane?

Does anyone think it could have been a swagger stick for a soldier who thought he needed some extra protection?

Or could it just be something a tourist might bring back from Asia?

Tony

?

The foil blade itself is early to mid 19th century, so you could use that as an age of the cane. I would say though this has no relation to the military, just upper class gentry city/town protection.

?

Thanks very much!

It would have been nice to have been military but a gentleman's 150 year old sword stick is just as good I reckon.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast