Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark

Article about: Hello, Annoyed from this ads?   They’re on a sword stick or cane which looks like the sort of thing a Brit or Commonwealth soldier may have slung under his arm while out and about. I’ve

?

Great for roasting marsh mellows or hot dogs.

?

This was mentioned on a sword forum I belong to when showing my fencing foils.

"The other mark +--o--+ can be found on nearly every foil blade produced in Solingen (and some other places as well)"

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

OK here is a little more info.

"F. Hörster merged with E.& F. Hörster in 1870"

This is a pic of the F Horster makers mark.

Sword stick / cane with unknown Solingen mark
    This mark was found on a Solingen made fencing foil.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Phil,

That's fantastic, thanks for passing on the info.

The remaining mark on my blade must be part of F H which confirms Duska's thoughts for the age of the foil blade.

Tony

?

Quote by ynot View Post
    Phil,

That's fantastic, thanks for passing on the info.

The remaining mark on my blade must be part of F H which confirms Duska's thoughts for the age of the foil blade.

Tony
    You are quite welcome Tony.
    I think you are correct about the MM of FH. So like Duska mentioned that is the correct time frame your BLADE was made . So no later than 1870. Now you need to see if there are any markings on the cane collar or tip to see when it was made into it final configuration.
    What type of metal are the collar and tip made of. If silver they might have that SS proof mark on them and then we can narrow that time frame down.

Very neat setup you picked up!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Phil,

It's not at all exotic, the collar is steel without any markings and when I bought it, the tip was missing so I replaced it with a modern one.

I've rubbed some chalk over the maker's stamp and it is indeed H, even a very small part of the F (the ends of the horizontals) became visible.

Tony

Does anybody know when Horster switched from above-mentioned type of hallmark ("dotted-around" F.H.) to more "modern" one? Also, in the early 20-th Century did they print sales catalogs for various countries (like Eickhorn did)?

"I must admit it looks like it has some age but then anyone from the 60s/70s has some age too" Hmm...I guess that makes any of us from Before the 60's pretty much dead.... *cough* Due time, lad....due time....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Eh? I am not sure what did yo mean?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2