Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Taylor Eye Witness Bushman's Friend - what can anyone tell me?

Article about: This is probably not a military knife (certainly not an issued one, but maybe a private purchase 'utility' blade?) but I do know that there were some WW2 contracts for other models in the Ta

Question Taylor Eye Witness Bushman's Friend - what can anyone tell me?

This is probably not a military knife (certainly not an issued one, but maybe a private purchase 'utility' blade?) but I believe that there were some WW2 contracts for other models in the Taylor Eye Witness line. I wondered it anyone could tell me more about this knife; maybe you have seen details while researching others?

For one, I cannot see any markings other than the obvious ones. Any ideas of age / how to date?

Taylor Eye Witness Bushman's Friend - what can anyone tell me?Taylor Eye Witness Bushman's Friend - what can anyone tell me?Taylor Eye Witness Bushman's Friend - what can anyone tell me?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Taylor Eye Witness Bushman's Friend - what can anyone tell me?  
    Last edited by brickie501; 03-02-2019 at 10:13 PM.

No, not a military knife at all. These were made over quite a long period of time. Early ones are stamped VR (Victoria Rex). They were made right up to the 60's/70's and were a favourite with Boy Scouts. Difficult to gauge the age as lots of companies in Sheffield made them.

A bit more info...

Early ones were only were only stamped 'Bushman'. The 'Friend' bit was added later. Some companies produced them over quite a longer period and changed the name during the time they were producing them. Some of the last ones didn't have the scroll pattern. The name was just 'typed' on the blade. So this isn't the last version but not oldest either.

K

RMD
    ?

Compared to knives that I have seen like this, it looks to be 1960's, 1970's.. But, just my opinion.

Cool looking knife

Thanks Kawasemi & RMD!

This was an early 'find' for me as it was in use, for cutting baling twine, on my parents farm... nobody could recall where it came from, so it was probably one of the tools gathered by my grandfather - who had a knack for acquiring such things following decades of farm work & a stint working on a bin lorry!

Despite the lack of any obvious military connection, I liked it, so I 'saved' it (substituting an old kitchen knife so the horses could continue to be fed)!

As you've confirmed its a difficult one to date, I appreciate your both filling any of 'blanks' whatsoever

RMD
    ?

Oh jeez, if it was used by grandpa, then this knife is more than likely older than I was thinking.

Cool back story. For sure, hang on to that knife, family history

Take care...... .

Quote by RMD View Post
    Oh jeez, if it was used by grandpa, then this knife is more than likely older than I was thinking.
    RMD, actually you're probably in the right 'ballpark' with 60's / 70's!

I'm not sure grandad used it that much (though he likely did when helping my folks out) & my parents only bought the farm in the 80's (though they di have a small holding before that)…

In his 'retirement' grandad did gardening work for various "old people" (bearing in mind he was in his 70s himself, I'm not sure they were much older than him, just less active!). He had always picked up such things (I think from working on bin lorries / his youth as a farm labourer) & was often given old collections of tools etc.

Stuff he had held on to or came by later would be brought up to the farm where "it might come in handy".

Its likely the knife made its way to my folks by one variation of that route or another... based on that assumption, rightly or wrongly, it reminds me of him! So, as you say, probably a 'keeper' anyway