Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Todays bayonets

Article about: Hi guys,i picked up these 2 bayo`s today at carboot,1st one im presumings its WW2 German with bakelite grip?maker marked Eickhorn Solingen,the frog is the one thing that has me wondering..it

Default Todays bayonets

Hi guys,i picked up these 2 bayo`s today at carboot,1st one im presumings its WW2 German with bakelite grip?maker marked Eickhorn Solingen,the frog is the one thing that has me wondering..it looks too new for the bayo even tho its stamped 1944 with a name etched in but im aware this could of been done any year!,anyway it just doesnt seem to fit right with it? .The second bayo looks WW1,it has a 4 sided blade?,apparantly found in Falaise but thats probably the guys speil. I liked the look of it so bought it anyway,never seen a 4 sided bayo tho,any help on these guys would be much appreciated as always. Thanks for all your help in you can guys
    ALL the best

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Todays bayonets   Todays bayonets  

Todays bayonets   Todays bayonets  

Todays bayonets  

ian
    ?

Default Re: Todays bayonets

the second is british ww2 from a lee,enfield no4 rifle

Mark

The cruciform bayonet looks like a British No4 Mk I for the No4 .303 rifle.

UK Bayonets By year (non Socket)

Can you see any markings on the socket ?

Regards

Richie

?

The british no/4 "pig sticker" is one of the rarer type cruciform blade, i believe one of our members posted his collection of no/ 4s recently and included one similar

NCA
    ?

Like that Pig sticker!I've yet to find one.
    As for the Bayonet frog..it does look too new to me.You can see the outline of the number stamps which look like each number was done one at a time.And the leather looks a bit odd..I may be totally wrong here also!

Hello-the German bayo appears to be a formal dress type not a combat type-the chequered grips and polished blade indicates this-these were used by all sorts of paramilitary and other Nazi organisations as well as the military-Germans were dead keen on dress ups-what if any markings are on the blade or scabbard?

As Richie says, the cruciform is a No.4 Mark 1, the first and rarest (and most valuable) of the pig stickers. Only 75,000 were made, all by Singer (as in sewing machines) at their Clydebank plant in late '41 or early '42.

Falaise or not, it's a good find.

Cheers,

Pat

Hi guys,thanks for all the info on these bayo`s. Never heard of a pig sticker tho! wow..i wonder who came up with that name and why?!!. I`ve read a bit about them now and cant believe these are being faked too!. I`ve tried to determine the genuiness of this one but i just dont know!. As for the dress bayo,it has a few letters and numbers on the scabbard,on one side it has the numbers 1427 above what looks like an f ? and on the back it has 43 c v l. Thank you for your help guys.

Mark

As far as fakery goes, if it's worth a quid someone somewhere will fake it-that's the benefit of a site like this-you can get a number of expert opinions and help on a variety of things-that said even long time collectors can be stung!

'Pigsticker' as a term for bayonets goes back a very long way as they were used unofficially for slaughtering/butchering animals in the field by troops-also hunting wild boar was a popular officer pass time/sport in the colonial era especially in India using spears/lances so anything that put a blade on a long 'handle' like a rifle...

Thanks lithgow very interesting indeed!. Now i need/want to determine if it is real or not,i read somewhere about fakes having or not having a typical "philips" head screwdriver like point?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast