Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US M1 bayonet

Article about: Glad you found it helpful Alex. It is part of Gary Cunningham's very informative Bayonet Points site at: Bayonet Points A lot of excellent info there.

?

Default US M1 bayonet

Hello everyone

I'm a bit new with American bayonets. I've found this M1 bayonet for sale and would like some opinions. Sorry about the poor quality photos they are from the seller.

I've done some research and I think its a US WW2 original (not cut down) M1 bayonet with US Korean War era M7 scabbard. Bayonet is marked PAL who I think only made M1s during WW2. Scabbard is marked on throat under lip B-N with scabbard body marked VP over 7 which is making me think Korean war era.

To me the bayonet looks in pretty good condition and is reasonably priced. My concern is that it has been for sale for a while and had no other interest. I'm wondering if I'm missing something in my judgment.

Thanks
    Alex

US M1 bayonetUS M1 bayonetUS M1 bayonetUS M1 bayonetUS M1 bayonetUS M1 bayonetUS M1 bayonetUS M1 bayonet

?

Doesnt look cut down to me either, but if you post the blade length, the experts will know for sure.

This bayonet type is close to my heart, as I when a kid was presented with a pristine M1 bayonet and scabbard still in factory or arsenal grease.

It was my first bayonet and helped spark my interest in cold steel.

A well made bayonet which to me at least reeks of quality.

Greetings Alex,

The 10” PAL variant is not all that hard to come by in decent condition (at least here in the States). If it was the same 10” Variant, but had the “1943” date stamped (not an original 16” cut down to 10”) on the ricasso, then it’s a rarer and more desirable variant. Here’s a (beat up) version of the rarer 10” made variant I’m referring too (eBay completed item # 400615253415).

Hope this has been of some help.

Merry Christmas!

Lance

?

I do like the look of these and the original longer blade ones as well. They just look well designed - functional but nothing too fancy. Lot of history behind them as well with US service and the clones used by other nations. There isn't too many to choose from over here and the ones that are here are very expensive compared to ones in the states.

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    I do like the look of these and the original longer blade ones as well. They just look well designed - functional but nothing too fancy.
    Agreed.
    Its the longer version, that I have.

?

Thanks for the replies. Lance am I correct in assuming that they stopped date marking the blades after 1943.

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Lance am I correct in assuming that they stopped date marking the blades after 1943.
    Yep, all contracted companies did. Many of the 10" (uncut that is) bayos were made post WWII. Other than finding one with a "1943" date, I'm unaware of how one can tell for sure (unless it's in its original packaging) that it is an actual WWII made piece. M1942s and their shorter brethren are not really in my interest area. That said, I do own two they are a pair of uncut "1942" & "1943" dated Wilde Tool (WT) made M1942 16" variants as seen below.

Regards,

Lance

Double click the picture to make it bigger.

US M1 bayonet

?

These references will come in handy:

Bayo Points 23

and

Bayo Points 24

along with:

Bayo Points 29

And to check on who else made the M1 bayonet:

Bayo_Points_44

?

Thanks for the info and photo Lance. Thanks USNV5 for the links - lots of interesting reading there.

m1ashooter
    ?

Everything looks fine to me. What is the asking price. That might be the reason its still for sale.

This is a great reference site for US Bayonets.

Bayonet Points

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast