Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?

Article about: Looking for info on this bayonet and scabbard. Is this the correct scabbard to go with this bayonet? If not what scabbard goes with this bayonet and what scabbard does this bayonet belong to

Default US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?

Looking for info on this bayonet and scabbard. Is this the correct scabbard to go with this bayonet? If not what scabbard goes with this bayonet and what scabbard does this bayonet belong to? Also wondering about the red gimp around the scabbard, any thoughts? I have a M8 bayonet, does the scabbard that's on the M4 go with the M8? Not sure if I got them at the sale estate sale so maybe they got mixed up? I'll include a picture of the M8 bayonet and scabbard I have and well as the M4 bayonet.

US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?
    US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?

Default Re: US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?

The scabbards that each are shown with are correct (both are M8's).
    M4 scabbard is missing its wire belt hanger, which may have been
    removed for post-war use - the gimp is a later addition too.

BTW, The Kinfolks piece is a 'US M3' fighting/utility knife,
    it is not a bayonet.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: US M4 Camillus bayonet with M8 scabbard?

As Steve stated both scabbards are correct, with the (mid period manufacture) M8A1 on top having the belt hooks removed at some point as he also pointed out. And with the bottom one I can't see the marking, but it looks like it has the short web/fabric back piece of the first M8 scabbards. (Brief explanation: The later issues of the M3 trench knife got the much more durable M8 plastic scabbard that did not have a set of belt hooks. Well, that did not work out so well with belts other than the pistol belt, so after a brief period they added the belt hooks at the factory to the "in process" M-8 scabbards with the short web/fabric back piece and called it the M8A1. And being frugal they used up the already manufactured short web/fabric back piece before switching to a longer back piece. And likewise they used up all of the already manufactured steel upper lockets that were marked M-8, before switching to those marked M8A1.) Regards, Fred