Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Model 1909 Bolo Machete

Article about: Here is the second of three knives I picked up today (the others being a German Para knife and a US Model 1904 Hospital Corp Bolo). This is a hefty item and would cause real damage when used

MAP
    ?

Default US Model 1909 Bolo Machete

Here is the second of three knives I picked up today (the others being a German Para knife and a US Model 1904 Hospital Corp Bolo).

This is a hefty item and would cause real damage when used!

Overall condition is good with some pitting on an otherwise good blade with grime that needs to be removed. Complete with a scabbard. However it appears that the scabbard has been heavily oiled long ago which is causing it to deterioate in certain placed. The oil has soaked through and gets on the blade.

Model 1909 dated 1917
    Maker: Fayette R Plumb, Philadelphia
    Serial number 55578

Scabbard: Rock Island Arsenal
    Dated 1915

Any and all comments welcome

Regards,

Michael

US Model 1909 Bolo MacheteUS Model 1909 Bolo MacheteUS Model 1909 Bolo MacheteUS Model 1909 Bolo MacheteUS Model 1909 Bolo MacheteUS Model 1909 Bolo MacheteUS Model 1909 Bolo Machete
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

These are pretty hefty in hand and I'm sure they worked well as a machete/field knife as they were intended. I had a poor conditioned example years ago that I let go hoping to find a better one. That has been 13-14 years ago and have yet to find another in my neck of the woods. If mine had been as good as yours, I would still have it!

Jim

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jim P View Post
    These are pretty hefty in hand and I'm sure they worked well as a machete/field knife as they were intended. I had a poor conditioned example years ago that I let go hoping to find a better one. That has been 13-14 years ago and have yet to find another in my neck of the woods. If mine had been as good as yours, I would still have it!

Jim
    Thanks Jim. Except for the scabbard, this one is in really nice shape. The blade is better than the pictures show. The scabbard isn't actually THAT bad yet but given the oil, it is only a matter of time I think before it falls appart. I've see scabbards alone on fleabay going for as high as $350. More than the cost of what I paid for both the knife and the scabbard.

Regards,

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is a great machete and not all that easy to come by anymore.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    That is a great machete and not all that easy to come by anymore.
    Thanks Greg,

Yes, you do not see these often. My dealer friend is cleaning out his personal collection to make room in the house for his new bride. He's a fantastic guy and has been giving me a look at some of his stuff. Had to dig deep into savings but could not let the opportunity pass by!

Regards,

Michael

I've got a really beat up Plumb bolo that I found
    in a box of garden tools.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I've got a really beat up Plumb bolo that I found
    in a box of garden tools.
    classic! Well it was used for clearing brush and stuff so served it's purpose!