Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Weird Gurkha knife. Need help

Article about: Anyone have any info on this Gurkha knife?

One concern I would have regarding this is its practicality. A bayonet is basically a stabbing weapon where as a Kuhkri is more of a slashing weapon. Due to the weight of the Kuhkri and the rifle combined I don't really feel it would make an efficient slashing weapon and would be quite unwieldy in that role. I would however concur with Wagriff that it does look well made and to have some age about it and would suggest rather than be military issue it was produced by local artisans using surplus Lee Metford handles. In support of this theory is the fact that the blade does not have any markings.if it was for British military use I would expect there to be acceptance marks on the blade .

?

Well they did use a type of Kukri blade on the old Brown Bess bayonets.

These came out of that arsenal in Nepal.

Brown Bess & Percussion Musket Gurkha Kukri Bayonet ima-usa.com

It is a well made piece . And would look awesome mounted on a Lee Metford display
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

assume the blade would be pointed down when attached to a rifle. How effective would this be. Just curious.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Well if it were used in the slashing move of bayonet fighting . It would have a very lethal effect ,

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Well if it were used in the slashing move of bayonet fighting . It would have a very lethal effect ,

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil,

True, but most training pics I've seen, it is more of thrusting motion. Not having any formal (or informal) combat training I do not pretent to be an expert.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

We were taught both stabbing and slashing movements.

Bayonet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks for all the help on this one. I was thinking of buying it but the asking price is to much for an undocumented item . Thanks

?

There are some real oddities out there that may, or may not, be legitimate period pieces. I'm not saying that this is one of them, but I will say that this one is of far better craftsmanship than any of the fake/fantasy pieces I have seen. Removing and replacing that style of grip rivets is no easy task and the way that the blade is mounted to the hilt looks very well done. The problem is, even if it were a legitimate, period piece, and I'm not saying it is, it would be near impossible to authenticate it without iron clad provenance.

A hands on inspection might prove otherwise, but if it were cheap enough, I would own it, if only for a conversation piece.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2