Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

wwii #1 pattern John Ek knife

Article about: just got the knife from a yard sale . lady said was her husbands from the military in wwii and he was in the pacific theater . she didnt know much more about it. can anyone tell me was it mi

?

Default re: wwii #1 pattern John Ek knife

The first one is indeed an EK. It looks vintage maybe even WWII. This one might be worth a fair bit of money, so dont part with it and certainly dont restore it before others chime in. The 'rivets' are soft and meant to be pounded on further, should the handle slabs loosen up and move about.
    The 'rivets' should be easily replaced - I'd advise to not touch the wooden handle slabs, unless they are Falling apart and cant be held together by replacing any lost 'rivets.'
    The EK looks great and seems to have seen some action. A rugged knife, which has been used - I would be porud to own a similar knife.
    Make sure you get a second opinion and get the knife valued correctly before parting with it.

The other knives looks like Fairbairn-Sykes clones.

Thanks! I will wait to see what others say. Here is a picture of the marking on one of the other knives. They both have these odd markings.

?

The 'crows feet' are British so called 'Broad Arrow' acceptance stamps.

Knives might actually have been used or issued - would seem likely as they were found with the EK, maybe?

Knives look worn, but okay and remind me of my genuine Fairbairn-Sykes, but fakes are legion, so lets hear what the others say.

Several countries have made/issued FS-type knives and several patterns exist.

Hello Annie and welcome to the forum!
    I agree that this appears to be an original EK knife. It is difficult to determine if it was used in action or just abused. It would also appear that probably the best person to contact has already posted his contact information.
    I would not be so quick to dismiss the F-S knives as clones without better photos. I don't believe they are making copies of second pattern blades which one of these seems to have.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by dalanon View Post
    Thanks! I will wait to see what others say. Here is a picture of the marking on one of the other knives. They both have these odd markings.

I would say these are issue knives manufactured in 1942.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Annie and welcome to the forum!
    I agree that this appears to be an original EK knife. It is difficult to determine if it was used in action or just abused. It would also appear that probably the best person to contact has already posted his contact information.
    I would not be so quick to dismiss the F-S knives as clones without better photos. I don't believe they are making copies of second pattern blades which one of these seems to have.
    Ralph.
    I agree. Here is a chance to ask a person with vast knowledge about EK knives.
    Further more the FS knives may very well be the real thing.
    I didnt mean to dismiss them; several real FS knives used by other countries than the UK were made (I posted before being made aware of the Broad Arrow). I should not have been so fast to call them clones. FS-type knives would have been more apt (Again, I wasnt aware of the stamped acceptance mark before posting that).

Quote by Scout View Post
    I agree. Here is a chance to ask a person with vast knowledge about EK knives.
    Further more the FS knives may very well be the real thing.
    I didnt mean to dismiss them; several real FS knives used by other countries than the UK were made (I posted before being made aware of the Broad Arrow). I should not have been so fast to call them clones. FS-type knives would have been more apt (Again, I wasnt aware of the stamped acceptance mark before posting that).
    Actually, it was the triangle pattern at the base of the blade that gave it away even before I saw the stamps.
    Ralph.

Thank you both so much for your help. There are other knives too that were in the toolbox, but they look like some kind of target throwing knives. They are flat, even the handles. I don't have pics of those yet. They are still sitting on the floor of my husband's excavator at work, lol! Like I said earlier, we are curious of their worth, and I'm sure they have some value. Also, if we could find someone who had interest in adding them to their collection, we would sell them for sure because we don't collect this stuff. It would be nice, if these are real, to see them go to someone who would care for them.

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Actually, it was the triangle pattern at the base of the blade that gave it away even before I saw the stamps.
    Ralph.

Know-it-all!!

JUST KIDDING!

By triangle pattern, you mean the small triangle formed by the grind right where the blade joins the handguard?

Is that supposed to signify a real as opposed to a fake, did the issue knives have that or what do you mean?

?

Quote by dalanon View Post
    Thank you both so much for your help. There are other knives too that were in the toolbox, but they look like some kind of target throwing knives. They are flat, even the handles. I don't have pics of those yet. They are still sitting on the floor of my husband's excavator at work, lol! Like I said earlier, we are curious of their worth, and I'm sure they have some value. Also, if we could find someone who had interest in adding them to their collection, we would sell them for sure because we don't collect this stuff. It would be nice, if these are real, to see them go to someone who would care for them.
    Please post pics of the remainder of the knives.
    They might be military knives as well.
    Some knives as used by GI were indeed more flat than usual.
    You should have no problem what so ever selling the knives; if they are the real thing - and that seems to be the case - they are all very much sought after blades.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast