Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

7th Battalion Somerset Light Infantry in Normandy

Article about: In Normandy 1944 my uncle was injured by shrapnel during the assault on Mont Pinçon when a shell burst at the side of his Universal Carrier. For him "the war was over", although hi

?

Post 7th Battalion Somerset Light Infantry in Normandy

In Normandy 1944 my uncle was injured by shrapnel during the assault on Mont Pinçon when a shell burst at the side of his Universal Carrier. For him "the war was over", although his injuries affected the rest of his life. As with many veterans, he never said much about his experiences, but the family are trying to find out what we can to pass on his story to the next generation. He was in the 7th Battalion Somerset Light Infantry which we know was involved in Operation 'Jupiter' and the attack on Hill 112, before Operation 'Bluecoat', attacking Mount Pinçon. What we'd really like to find out is when his unit actually went to France - we think it may have been D Day +6 - can anyone help?

?

Now this only took me about 30 seconds using my Bing Fu. Not sure if you have practice this art?

But it looks like there is a book published about this unit.

Story Of The Seventh Battalion The Somerset Light Infantry June 1944 To May 1945 - Naval & Military Press

Semper Fi
    Phil

Ah the Bing Fu is strong in this one !!!

?

We do have the book on order, but were looking to see if anyone could offer a quick answer to the embarkation question. Anyway, it turns out it was D Day +12.

You might want to read the history of the 43rd Wessex Division as well.