Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Care to buy an aircraft carrier?

Article about: I understand that the UK Ministry Defense is going to sell HMS Ark Royal. Go to Disposal Services Authority. I think we should all chip in and buy her for a meeting place and hotel we could

Default Care to buy an aircraft carrier?

I understand that the UK Ministry Defense is going to sell HMS Ark Royal. Go to Disposal Services Authority. I think we should all chip in and buy her for a meeting place and hotel we could cruise about the English Channel and have a great time

Default Re: Care to buy an aircraft carrier?

Good grief, it makes me ill to see them cutting up those fantastic old warships. It's less painful to watch Bambi's mom get shot. I can't look anymore. I wish we could save them all and sail the English Channel.

Jay

Not neccessarily being sold for scrap-I would think an up'n coming power would snap it up and start making their own 'Fleet Air Arm' badges-our navy (the RAN) picked up an amphibious assault ship from the RN "going out of business, almost" sale.

I read that the RN has already tried to sell you fine Aussies the Ark Royal years ago. Bet you can get an even better deal now.

The British govt was going to sell HMS Invincible to us in 1982 just before the Falklands War but of course after that... she was very new then, completed in 1977-now Ark Royal is getting on in years and the RAN is building 2 new carrier/assault ships so we don't need her-at one time it looked like we would buy the Thai navy's small carrier in the 1990s when they were in economic difficulties but that fell through-our navy only operates helicopters since the early 80s and the retirement of the light fleet carrier HMAS Melbourne.

Quote by operaman View Post
    I understand that the UK Ministry Defense is going to sell HMS Ark Royal...... we could cruise about the English Channel and have a great time
    And have a meeting in Antwerp on the day of the mounthly arms fair!!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris