Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine Plaque

Article about: Do know if this is the best place to post it so please advise if it should or can be moved to a better area. I picked this up when I was 18. I had to borrow money from my parents in order to

Default The Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine Plaque

The Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine PlaqueThe Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine PlaqueThe Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine PlaqueDo know if this is the best place to post it so please advise if it should or can be moved to a better area.

I picked this up when I was 18. I had to borrow money from my parents in order to obtain it. when I asked for the money my mom called BS, there is no way the money is going towards an antique she asked me if I was selling drugs

I took in door and out door pics

U.S.S. Maine Bronze Memorial Plaque & Bookend Made From Metal Recovered From The Ship. Bronze plaque 17 1/2" X 12 3/4", in soft high relief, pictures the ship sinking below the waves as the goddess Columbia solemnly holds a large shield marked "Patriotism and Devotion" Cast at the base "This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine." The sculptor was Charles Heck, the foundry J.E.B. Williams, Inc of New York, dated 1913. Edge with serial number 997 , excellent condition
    Thing weighs dense 13lbs

approx. 1000 cast.

These were given to towns and memorials around the country and also to next of kin/relatives of those who perished.
    Most famous example is on the side of the memorial in Columbus Circle in New York City.

she was sunk in 1898 and stay where she lay in the middle of Havana Harbor until a rise of patriotic furvor lead to it being partially recovered, human remains properly buried ect. the balance was scuttled outside the harbor.

My favorite reason was the Cuban government finally got up the courage to ask for it to be taken care of as it was a slight navigation hard for the past 13 years.

Various relic parts of the ship are located in such places as the US Naval Academy(bow scrollwork), Arlington National Cemetery(main mast).

Hope you dig it.
    General Putnam

Not only is this beautiful but it was designed by Charles Keck assistant to Augustus Saint Gaudens ( engraver for the 20$ double eagle gold piece)
    But also.
    Numismatic Designs
    1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition Gold Dollar
    1927 Vermont, Battle of Bennington Sesquicentennial Half Dollar
    1936 Lynchburg Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

Brooklyn Museum, Genius of Islam, McKim, Mead and White, architects, NYC, 1908
    Pennsylvania Hall, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1908
    Soldiers and Sailors National Military Museum and Memorial, Pittsburgh. 1910
    Oakland City Hall, Palmer & Hornbostel architects, Oakland, California, 1914
    Pittsburgh City-County Building, Palmer & Hornbostel architects, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1916
    Wilmington City Hall, Palmer & Hornbostel architects, Wilmington, Delaware, 1917
    Education Building, Albany, New York
    Nelson Gallery of Art, Kansas City, Missouri
    Waldorf Astoria Hotel, Schultze & Weaver architects, NYC, 1931
    Essex County Building Annex, Newark, New Jersey, c. 1930
    Jackson County Court House, Wight & Wight, architects, Kansas City Missouri, 1934
    Bronx County Courthouse, Freedlander & Hausle architects, Bronx, New York, 1933[2]
    Campus gates, Columbia University, New York City
    The John B. Murphy Memorial, Chicago, Illinois
    Amicitia, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    George Washington, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Meriwether Lewis and William Clark Sculpture, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1921
    Thomas Jonathan Jackson Sculpture, Charlottesville, Virginia
    Duke Family sarcophagi, Memorial Chapel, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
    Angel of Peace, Exhibition Place, Toronto, 1930
    The Lincoln Monument of Wabash, Indiana, 1932
    Booker T. Washington, Tuskegee, Alabama
    Father Duffy, Duffy Square, New York City, 1937
    Andrew Jackson, Kansas City, Missouri
    Ernest Hass Memorial, Woodlawn Cemetery, Detroit, Michigan
    George Rogers Clark Memorial, Springfield, Ohio
    Huey Long Memorial, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Liberty Monument, Ticonderoga, New York

In 1913 Keck designed a memorial plaque that was cast from metal that had been salvaged from the USS Maine after it was raised in Havana harbor the previous year. Over a thousand of the plaques were cast and they are spread unevenly all over the United States. In 1931, Keck completed the Great Seals of the Commonwealth of Virginia which had been commissioned by the Commonwealth. The obverse of the seal is still used to this day and appears on the state flag." wikipedia

Very nice and a good choice at 18!!!

Steve

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Have a good day

Mart

MAP
    ?

You had a good eye when you were 18!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Very nice friend.

nice piece of history.

?

Very Nice Piece, I have seen the Mast in Arlington several times

I find it interesting that the Gov really knew what caused her to explode, but blamed the Cubans for many years.

When she was raised from the Harbour, the US Navy and experts took a long good look at her, and to hide the truth, they floated her out to very deep water and sank her again.

A Great Piece and a Great true story...not the Cubans fault

Dean O
    Canada

It turns the best explanation was built up cold dust, I have to find the program on it again.
    Several private citizens and groups had a shot at doing their own salvage jobs. which yielded all kinda of good stuff rifles and such.
    I have a second piece in my collection from the maine

Quote by GeneralPutnam View Post
    It turns the best explanation was built up cold dust, I have to find the program on it again.
    Several private citizens and groups had a shot at doing their own salvage jobs. which yielded all kinda of good stuff rifles and such.
    I have a second piece in my collection from the maine
    Are you going to show us, please?

Mart

This is a letter opener which is special in 3 ways

Made from metal salvaged from Maine

Was issued in limited numbers at a dinner held to raise private money to help raise the Maine at the world the famous Waldorf Astoria Hotel
    Maybe by Tiffany and Co. Jewelers

Thanks
    General Putnam
    .The Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine PlaqueThe Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine PlaqueThe Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine PlaqueThe Crown Jewel in my collection USS Maine Plaque

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast