Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dambuster Bombsight To Be Sold

Article about: The last surviving bombsight of the Dambuster's raid is due up for auction this month. With an estimate of £20,000-25,000 that is an expensive piece of wood! Not bad for an improvised item.

And now it looks like the medals of Guy Gibson's reargunner on the Dambuster raid will also be up for sale soon...

Dambusters raid gunner Richard Trevor-Roper's family to sell his gallantry medals | Daily Mail Online

?

I am sorry but to my mind, why would you sell these Famlily items???
    Never understood it, to me it does not matter that this Airman was with the Dambusters....it is family history

Dean O
    Canada

?

I expect these will sell for much more than 60 grand !!

What i find sad is that despite his place on one of the great Aviation raids of history and WW2 his family ( didn't they have any knowledge of this ) have found the medals etc in a dusty old box file and then want to flog them straight away .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The photo of T-R with "Barnes Wallis" is I believe, a case of mistaken identity. The chap doesn't resemble Wallis at all to me, he was tall, as was Trevor-Roper, and as far as I'm aware didn't smoke, as the man in the photo is. I think it may be his father Charles, or another close relative.

As I can't find a photo of his father, here's a pic of his cousin Hugh Trevor-Roper, Baron Dacre of Glanton, who worked for SIS during the war with Kim Philby as his boss. Below there's a comparison photo of Hugh at that time which in my opinion bears a close family resemblance to the man in the picture as against the appearance of Barnes Wallis during roughly the same period.

Hugh Trevor-Roper.

Barnes Wallis.

Anyone got any opinions on this??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Can't be his father Charles he died in 1917.

looks like Hugh to me Ned.

?

Your right Ned definately not Wallis !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I could not view this from my Guberment computer until now at home. What a fantastic piece of history. I hope it is not lost to a private collection and that some of you Chaps across the pond can get one of your museums to purchase or at the least get the buyer to keep it on display, so that others can view it.

As far as selling this and the medals , sometimes people come across hard times and when In need of cash for the family the items you cherish will come second to your needs for your family.
    Just my 2 centavos on this.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Just a thought, but perhaps if the IWM hadn't spent so much on the design and production of all the fancy moving shelves and displays, they would have more money available for things that truly matter...such as this important lot.

The bombsight has sold for £41,500. And some marbles used by Barnes Wallis during his testing for the bomb sold for £27,200. Unfortunately the article doesn't say whether they will remain in the UK or not.
    Dispite saying 404 Not Found this link does go to an article about the sale...
    404 Not Found

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2