Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.

Article about: Well continuing with my Dorset at war theme.took the family to the beach today as it was just perfect weather,so we travelled to middle Beach at Studland,but all along I had an ulterior moti

Default Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.

Well continuing with my Dorset at war theme.took the family to the beach today as it was just perfect weather,so we travelled to middle Beach at Studland,but all along I had an ulterior motive,I had come to see what is now classed as "Dorsets most important relic" of ww2.Fort Henry was a purpose built observation bunker built in 1943 by Royal Canadian Engineers hence the name,it is 90 ft long,the walls are 3ft thick and the viewing slat is 80 ft long,and it was within this bunker that the top brass watch 5 rehearsals of the preperations for the D Day landings,the most famous was operation "Smash" that took place on the 18 april 1944,this is known as the largest live ammunition exercise of the war,the 1st Battalion of the "Dorsets" took part,the bunker laid covered for decades until it reopened in feb-2002 and was taken over by the "National Trust" in 2011 and is now declared a grade 11 listed building,and directly behind is the control room built into the Earth with twin stairwells and four external vents,also there are remains of something round at the entrance which im not sure of (pic included),hope you enjoy these images as much as i did taking them,never mind my son he luvs all this ww2 fussing around............Jake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.   Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.  

Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.   Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.  

Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.   Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.  

Thanks for the photos, i never knew the place existed!....

After uploading this thread I re-checked some of my facts and now feel the need to correct them.....during april 1944 5 rehearsals took place at studland beach which would represent the Normandy landings at Sword-Juno-Gold beaches.studland having been already heavily fortified against the threat of 1940 which never came then had to be completely cleared of all such obstacles,many residents were asked to relocate but for those who stayed windows were removed to reduce the damage from the ground vibrations.during these excercises known as "SMASH" on the 18-04-1944 the King,Churchill,Eisenhower,Montgomery and Omar Bradley plus Generals and Aides were all present in this one historic bunker.also the building directly behind was infact a 1940 AA Battery but again by 1943 the threat had passed so they simply built right smack in front of it,also this is where the Donald Duck tank (Duplex Drive)was tested on British Valentine tanks and earlier that month on the 4-4-44 2 tanks were lost with the loss of 6 lives and the wrecks are still there today in about 15 metres of water,will add pics of memorial.studland still holds so much history from the war including Dragons teeth,pill boxes,slit ditches,live ordanance,if your ever down this way and wanna guide would be more than happy too oblige, it really is one of Dorsets best kept gems.............thanks Jake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.   Fort Henry Redend point Studland Dorset.  

Cheers for the update!.....

Thanks Jake.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

That's a really nice piece Jake.
    Looks like some of the original camo paint has survived under the eaves?
    Amazed to see no horrible tagging on the walls.

Cheers,
    Oz.

?

Excellent photos!

Tony Robsinson did a good programme on Dorset recently walking 49 miles along the coast. Fort Henry was visited by him and it looks a most impressive place.

Thanks guys this stuff is very close to my heart and so passion runs deep and yes its beautiful there and very safe for the kids,the beaches are shallow and it allows them to wade out without any threat and also me and the boy walked around the point below Fort Henry and well we didn,t find any Ammo,probably for best with my son around most likely find live stuff,but yes it was built to last and forgot to mention it would of had benches originally installed for the spectators,also need to find the dragons teeth has i missed them somewhere around but always next time...............Jake.

Have done a few living history displays here, and a beach assault!!