Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Founder’s Day, Royal Hospital Chelsea

Article about: I had the great honour of being invited to Founder’s Day at the Royal Hospial Chelsea last Thursday (7th June). It honours the founder of the hospital, King Charles II, in 1682. He wanted a

Default Founder’s Day, Royal Hospital Chelsea

I had the great honour of being invited to Founder’s Day at the Royal Hospial Chelsea last Thursday (7th June). It honours the founder of the hospital, King Charles II, in 1682. He wanted a place for British soldiers “broken by age and war” to live and be cared for. The Chelsea Pensioners are highly respected. On Founders Day the statue of Charles II is wreathed in oak leaves to remember his escape during the English Civil War, and everyone wears oak leaves on the day. The pensioners who are able to parade were inspected byPrince Michael of Kent and then they march past. Half March one way and salute as normal, but the other march left to right and salute with the left hand. This remembers those veterans who had lost their right arm and were allowed to salute with the left. The band of the Coldstream Guards provided the music and it was a real treat to witness quite a moving parade. Even my wife, who is Russian and not interested in military things, was affected by it. A few pictures I took on the day.

Founder’s Day, Royal Hospital ChelseaFounder’s Day, Royal Hospital ChelseaFounder’s Day, Royal Hospital ChelseaFounder’s Day, Royal Hospital Chelsea

?

Glad you enjoyed the day mate.
    Some years ago, I was on staff at RHC for 7years as the Hospital Ambulance/Minibus Driver and First Responder, a good day is generally had by all and the weather generally holds fair that day.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Interestingly, saluting with either hand was acceptable and the norm until some time after the Napoleonic wars...or sometime thereabouts, not sure exactly when the change took place.

Sounds like a great day out.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.