Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fusilier Alfred Heath 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers Killed 17/08/1943 Italy.

Article about: Hi Guys, This one concerns my Great Uncle Alfred Heath who served with the 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers and was sadly killed aged just 23 during the fighting in Italy. His service numb

Default Fusilier Alfred Heath 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers Killed 17/08/1943 Italy.

Hi Guys,

This one concerns my Great Uncle Alfred Heath who served with the 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers in WW2 and was sadly killed ON 17/08/1943 Sicily in Italy aged just 23 during the fighting in Italy. His service number was 4919046. I would like to understand more about his units actions such as what action he may have been killed in, were they attached to the 8th Army etc and what would his medal entitlement have been. I believe he was moved from the battlefront shortly before his death as he may have been suffering from today we call 'Battle Stress' but after being returned he was killed a short while later, we really don't know truth but would be grateful if any of the experts on the forum could help in any way. Sadly all we have left of Alfred are a few photos inc the one posted here so I would like to aquire perhaps the medals he would have earned and have them framed with photos so his memory can be properly preserved for our future family generations. I never knew him but im so proud of him. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, best regards Tim Heath.Attachment 906278

Hi Tim, he would have certainly got the 1939 - 45 star, the Italy Star and the War Medal.

You need to see his units war diary. This might be in the National Archives or with the Regimental Museum.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Tim, you can apply for his service record (Request for service records of deceased service personnel) here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests...vice-personnel

The record will include his medal entitlement and if they were never issued you can apply for them however, the medals they give you look horrible and cheaply made or at least that was the case with my grandfather's medals but it's nice to have the paperwork they come with.

Tony

Thanks Ade much appreciated and will update things once I have carried out some more research Cheers Loads Tim.

Thankyou Tony for your valued input and will certainly be applying for the service record in due course and will post up any findings Cheers Loads Tim.

The reference for the war diary, held at NA, Kew, is WO 169/10251. Although it may not record his death specifically, it will certainly explain what the battalion was engaged in on the day of his death.

Cheers, Tom