Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German WW1 Erkennungsmarken, brought home by my Great Grandfather

Article about: Hello all, I'm wondering if you might be able to assist me in the search for information, regarding the owner of an I.D Disk. My Great Grandfather brought it home from the war, along with ma

Default German WW1 Erkennungsmarken, brought home by my Great Grandfather

Hello all,

I'm wondering if you might be able to assist me in the search for information, regarding the owner of an I.D Disk.

My Great Grandfather brought it home from the war, along with many other artifacts that I will post when time allows.

The disk is marked as follows:

FRONT:
    KURT SQITZNER.
    Eibenstock.iE Vord. Remerstr.17.

BACK:
    J.R. 181. 2. M.G.K. 54

Any help regarding who this man was would prove fascinating, it is something that I have always wanted to learn more about!

Thanks for your time guys, any information you can give would be fantastic!

-Joshua

Default Re: German WW1 Erkennungsmarken, brought home by my Great Grandfather

Joshua, Front, name "KURT SQITZNER", home address "Eibenstock.iE Vord. Remerstr.17", and this is his date of birth "6.7.88" (6th July 1888).
    Back, "J.R. 181. 2. M.G.K. 54" his unit details, which are "Kgl. Sächs. 15. Infanterie-Regt. Nr.181, 2nd Machine Gun Kompanie (Company) 54th man of that Company. I and II Battalion were garrisoned at Chemitz, whilst the III Battalion was at Zwickau, and then after 1914 at Glauchau, this Regiment was part of XIX Armee Korps (XIX. (2. Königl. Sächs.) Armeekorps), it was part of the 40th Division during WW1, see here for further information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40th_Di...(German_Empire) It is as its title proclaims J.R.181 was a Saxon Regiment, as such would recruit mainly in the Saxon area. See here for information on the area Eibenstock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    you could go further and check Google street map and check if "Remerstrasse" still exists ! then check to see if he survived the war or was a casualty, try searching here Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e. V. | Arbeit für den Frieden
    Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 08-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Wow! Thanks for that information, Steve! Wasn't expecting that much information on the first reply!

Is there any way that I can research where this unit would have been deployed? I'd love to see if this matches up with my Great Grandfathers deployment.

Also, is there anywhere to find more general information on this unit?

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply!

-Joshua

Joshua...best to give me where your Great-Grandfather was, including dates...I can then check the Divisional histories of the Regiment/Division and I should be able to give you an answer.
    Prost ! Steve.

Joshua, found this site, you should be able to glean a bit of information from regarding the Regiments activities in 1914-18 period. Google Translate
    Prost ! Steve.

Sure thing, Steve!

My great Grandfather, Ebenezer Reid, served in the 39th Battalion during WW1.

I will give you some websites that I found about his military history, I'm sure you can decode them much better than I can :P

the39th - (Some general information on deployments and the like..)

Details -(Personal details at time of service)

Thanks, Steve! If there is anything more you need please ask and I will try to find it!

-Joshua