Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Grandfather's service history

Article about: Cut a long story short, my mother and father split when I was young. My father went back to his place of birth, Byker, Newcastle. I don't speak to him, so its hard to get information. My Gra

Well, that's the death certificate on order, so I will keep you all updated. Thank you to Bananamafia in particular! I presume my Dad who is still alive is classed as next of kin? and if my Grandad never received any awards, I wouldn't be able to claim them?

If he was entitled to any awards, I believe only the next of kin can claim for them.
    I've tried to do the same for my great grandad's medals, which were pinched by a family member. Unfortunately, turns out you need proof of theft, such as a police report. And as they weren't technically 'stolen' I can't claim for them.
    Hopefully you have better luck with yours!

B.B.

Yes your father would be next of kin.
    And if his medals were not claimed by your grandfather (or a relation) they are available to be claimed by said next of kin.

Quote by Cumbrian View Post
    I presume my Dad who is still alive is classed as next of kin? and if my Grandad never received any awards, I wouldn't be able to claim them?
    I do know of people in simialr situations, who have just filled the form in as next of kin, bypassing a generation so to speak.
    Not that i would condone it.

According to British law, close relatives I.e grandchildren can be classed as NOK, providing the deceased never named one. The NOK form does give different options. I do have some contact with part of my family from Newcastle and from what I believe, one of his daughters has all his personal belongings. I've literally seen my dad twice and spoke to him a handful of times, the last time was on Christmas day. I said can I have my grandads medals etc? He said sure, I'll be back in contact later today......... nearly 7 month on and no response. Other family members have said they're not bothered about them and they'd prefer that they went to me because I'm an enthusiast. I'd love them so I can make a display and they can be added to my ever growing collection.

If you ever get ahold of them, they're certainly something to cherish. I've spent I don't know how much on my collection, and have so many different things, but my great grandfather's personal possessions will always be my favourite pieces. He would be proud of you, for showing such interest and respect. In a time when we're seeing their generation starting to slip from living memory, it's more important than ever that we look after what remains of their deeds on earth.
    Pass his story on, and be proud. You have every right to be.

B.B.

You're correct BrodieBartfast, was hoping to pass my interest on to my son. If the worst comes to the worst and I don't get the medals, I'll simply get originals as they weren't named like WW1 medals and make a display that way for my son. As far as I'm aware, all his military belongings are in storage and have bee since he died in 1955. I've ordered his death certificate and the MOD forms are already filled out. So once the death certificate arrives, I'll be sending them out straight away.

?

Welcome to the Best Forum Cumbrian with the best community of avid collectors, great wisdom share and some all around spectacular people willing to help each other on many fronts. Good luck in your quest for information. Enjoy your stay with us.

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3