Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Great Uncle 'James Laidlaw' - RAF WW2

Article about: Name: unclejameslaidlaw.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 128.1 KB  ID: 917727 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Seasons Greetings to all. So I thought I would delve into my Fathers

Default Great Uncle 'James Laidlaw' - RAF WW2

Great Uncle 'James Laidlaw' - RAF WW2

Season's Greetings to all.

So I thought I would delve into my Fathers side of the family, now I have part of my mothers side complete.

My Father mentioned that his uncle 'Jimmy' - Real name 'James (Possible middle name Norris) Laidlaw' served in the RAF during WW2. Birthplace Langholm, Scotland (to be confirmed). Sister - Margaret.

- See attached file.

This all came about after I mentioned another man that I had been researching as part of my work - Going by the name of 'Lt.Col James Dean RA' who served during Fall of Singapore. - See prev posts for more info. To cut a long story short, it seems my Great Uncle James may have also have been involved in battle during this time - only in the air. As he seems to recall Japan/Singapore being mentioned. He was also situated in a number of other countries. Africa may have also been one of them. So my father informs me.

If anyone is able to help me with any further details that would be great. It is mainly out of personal interest more then anything. I also share his name (MR) Gillan 'James Laidlaw' Bell - So it only feels right that I should find more about him.

All the best.

Gillan Bell.

Hi Gillian, you need to contact the RAF to get his service records. WW2 records are not public. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/veterans-uk

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!