Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help to Identify what medals my grandfather was awarded ????

Article about: Hi all here is a copy of my grandfathers records I was wondering what medals he was awarded ? I have a nice picture of him in the original ARUNTA frame from when he served I'd like to frame

Default Help to Identify what medals my grandfather was awarded ????

Hi all here is a copy of my grandfathers records I was wondering what medals he was awarded ? I have a nice picture of him in the original ARUNTA frame from when he served I'd like to frame the picture and frame with some replica medals. No one know what happened to his Well any help would be great . Help to Identify what medals my grandfather was awarded ????Help to Identify what medals my grandfather was awarded ????

thought I'd add a picture of the frame and pic .Help to Identify what medals my grandfather was awarded ????

?

If no one can assist here, then I can recommend the British Medals Forum, which has a Commonwealth countries section.
    Nice family history there Matthew.

Cheers,
    Oz

If you go onto the national archives site you will be able to get a copy of his service records which will probably tell you exactly what he would have been awarded.

thanks guys but this is the only record of his I can find online

Mate if you follow one of these links,you can find out what Medals he was awarded and if he claimed them at all.If he hasnt you can apply to recieve them yourself.I did it with my Wifes fathers medals,takes a while but well worth it.

https://www.awm.gov.au/research/info...s/#Entitlement

Department of Defence - Defence Honours and Awards

Cheers Mick

Cheers mick

I see, from the papers, that the Government generously told him "no way" on his request for a pension....gotta love the Government-go off to war for them and when you're done, you can go home and thanks for everything...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

That don't surprise me at all I doubt it has changed much either .Yeh it states something on the second/ back of the card about Rated AB ... then says released of rating not approved at present due to the manning situation ??? I have no idea what this is about just at a guess a promotion then not approved ??? Any one understand these cards ?

It looks like he had put in for his deferred pay and had been paid it. His rank when he began in 1943 was "Ordinary Seaman" and in October 1944 he was made an "AB" or an "Able Bodied Seaman". It may be that he had signed on for one tour and on completion of it, he was not allowed to leave, as the war demands were in need of AB's? The Navy had a rule that if a sailor served 6 months, he was allowed to Apply for early release from service-which, in His case, looks to have been denied due to the war demands for sailors.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast