Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi all ;-) Can you help confirm a serviceman's record?

Article about: This is in regards to a lot of WWII German items that was purchased by a person who I'm picking up an item from. Claims to have bought this lot from the vet's son, the vets name is Edward B.

Default Hi all ;-) Can you help confirm a serviceman's record?

This is in regards to a lot of WWII German items that was purchased by a person who I'm picking up an item from. Claims to have bought this lot from the vet's son, the vets name is Edward B. Foltz if I'm reading it correctly on a pic of the paybook. The unit according to a patch that was in the lot was the "Golden Acorn" 87th Infantry Division, which I see certainly was in the right places at the right times;

Overseas: Deployed to the European Theater on 17 October 1944.
    Arrived England on 12 November 1944, and Staged for movement to France.
    Assigned to US 3rd Army on 25 November 1944.
    Arrived La Havre, France 28 November 1944.
    Was further assigned to US III Corps on 4 December 1944, and to US XII Corps on 11 December 1944, and to US XV Corps on 21 December 1944, and to US VIII Corps on 29 December 1944.
    Crossed into Belgium on 12 January 1945, and returned to XII Corps on 14 January 1945.
    Crossed into Luxembourg on 21 January 1945, and assigned to VIII Corps on 25 January 1945.
    Due to discontinuity of German railroad system, 87th ID was routed to Germany by returning to Belgium on 3 February 1945.
    Entered Germany 16 March 1945, and remained to VE Day.
    Hopefully I have the name right and thx in advance for any time you put into this research. If this info pans out, I will include a pic of the lot.

Remember the Heroes...

I thought this was fairly easy for certain people with access to the records?

MAP
    ?

I don't have the tools to research this but the first time I read this I was not sure what info you were looking for. What you have seems pretty good already, and any info on his personal life is best gotten from his son.

Maybe with a bit more direction on what you want, others can help out.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The info quoted is on the whole 87th Infantry Division.

Trying to confirm if a GI by that name was in that unit, any decorations, etc.

MAP
    ?

Ok. Hope someone can help. I know Ancestry.com has a free trial period (or at least used to). That should give you what you need hopefully.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

US Army Center for Military History is the place to ask.

- - ------- - -

Also look in the US Army official history of the second world war in the relevant volumes on the European campaign, especially after June 1944.

and they seem to have a veterans club or association, with resources.

87th Infantry Division Association

Oh look, I have made over 20,000 posts. Do I get a marzipan eastern front medal now for all of this?

Happy old things to you all.

There appears to be four instances of Edward Foltz in NARA AAD but a single Edward B Foltz. His Service Number is 33500408.

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display...893&tf=F&bc=sl

In Find a Grave there is an Edward B Foltz born in 1919 and who passed away in 1985. He was a Tec 5 in the Army during WW2.

Edward B Foltz (1919 - 1985) - Find A Grave Memorial

I don't currently have a subscription to Ancestry or Fold3 at the moment and was never terribly lucky in finding anything on either for Army members, better at Navy and USMC.

Is there a uniform in the group?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast