Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

How Do I Go About Locating Info On A WWII Service Person?

Article about: I've seen it done in minutes on here, I've not figured out the trick yet. If a service members service number does not come up in the National Archives, what other methods are used. I've got

Default How Do I Go About Locating Info On A WWII Service Person?

I've seen it done in minutes on here, I've not figured out the trick yet. If a service members service number does not come up in the National Archives, what other methods are used. I've got a WWII National Guardsmen's service number I'd like to trace. Can someone point me in the right direction to do this?

Thanks,

Russ

Default Re: How Do I Go About Locating Info On A WWII Service Person?

If it does not come up in the Archives it could be that they were lost in the St Louis fire of 1973. LOT of records were lost in the fire. I know some vets who have losted records in the fire.

Do you know if this soldier was killed in action?
    chris

Chris, I have no idea. What is actually happening is I have started a bit of a project to give my son this coming Christmas. I came across a WWII ear M1 helmet that had the soldiers first initial, last name and service number written in it. I guess the name and SN does not have to be WWII ear, I'm just going on that assumption until I learn otherwise. Anyway, what I am trying to do is put together a full uniform of what the soldier, that wore this helmet, would have worn, as best I can, as well as document the soldier as best I can. The service number is an Army National Guard number, but beyond that, I've had no luck with tying the number to the name, and I may not be able to at the end of the day.

At the same time, I wanted to turn this in to a little exercise for myself and instead of just posting all the info in hopes that someone might magically come up with the story behind this guy, I wanted to go through the motions so as to be able to do so the next time I cross this bridge.

When i looked up records before it was through the archives, if i hit a dead end there i assumed that it was lost in St louis fire. Sorry, but lot of records are lost to time. Hope some how you find your answer.

On a positive note, I think it is safe to assume that since this service number does not appear to have been pulled from the archives (likely lost in the fire as many have suggested) and it just marked on a shell, I can feel pretty confident that it isn't someones handy work, trying to add false value to an item, such as often done to a grouping of items.