MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

HRH Princess Elizabeth in the ATS

Article about: Hiya, as it is Her Majesty's Diamond Jubillee Year, I thought it would be nice to celebrate with a thread about her service in the wartime Auxiliary Territorial Service. The Queen is now the

Hi Sally, welcome!

All I can tell you is the photo was taken in 1945.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Sally G View Post
    Fascinated with one of these photos - the second row, photo on the right of Princess Elizabeth sitting surrounded by other ladies from the ATS, the two sitting beside her with dogs on their laps. I have another version of this photo, more formal - the one on this site must have been taken after the official ones. I am trying to find out where the photo was taken. Does anyone recognise the building in the background? Any is anyone able to date this photo a little more than just 1939-1945? Thanks for your help - I am actually trying to track down my aunt's history, and I'm pretty sure she is in this picture, and knowing when and where it was taken will help a lot.
    Hi Sally,

The photo has been captioned in the past as being one of a series taken at the No.1 Mechanical Transport Training Centre (MTTC) in Camberley, Surrey in March 1945. Other than that I can't help any more I'm afraid, but it might give you a start on your quest.

Another possible location on Portsmouth Road, Camberley is described here:

"At this point Camberley became the official ATS Motor Companies’ Training Centre. Two large houses were also requisitioned on the Portsmouth road, 'Beaufront' (a former girls' school) was used as headquarters, and 'Mulroy' became a barracks. The centre opened on 12 February 1940. During the following two years it was expanded with more and more houses (11 in total) being acquired along the Portsmouth Road. Additional quarters and lecture rooms, including 43 Nissen huts were erected, and part of Blackdown Camp was taken over for the construction of a training centre hospital and a large NAAFI".

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sally G
    ?

Thanks Ned, that is really helpful, and has given me some good leads. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2