Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Information on Pilot during WW2

Article about: Hello everyone, first post so hopefully someone can help... I am looking for war time records for Lancaster Pilot Frank J Cox was definately piloting lancaster bombers from 1943-end of war.

mongooseeds
    ?

Default Information on Pilot during WW2

Hello everyone, first post so hopefully someone can help...

I am looking for war time records for Lancaster Pilot Frank J Cox was definately piloting lancaster bombers from 1943-end of war.

I think he may have been promoted to a squadron leader but am unsure.

Any ways that people know on finding out information on him would be greatly appreciated. He is my grandad but the dreaded curse of Altzheimers has claimed most of his wartime memorys and i can only just recall the stories that he told me growing up so i would like to find out more about him.

Many Thanks for any help

Mongoose!

OKW
    ?

Default Re: Information on Pilot during WW2

He can still ask to see his personnel record which used to be held at RAF Innsworth, Ade will know where the records are now, send him a P.M. I also believe you as close NOK can also apply.
    If he was promoted this should have been gazetted, that is published in the London Gazette. Try a search of their web site this may bring up some dates. If you know anything about which squadrons he was on then a web search for these may reveal history of when and where. Some are more detailed than others, some may include old comrades etc.
    Try national archives there may be station/ squadron histories there although you would need to visit to view or pay a researcher to ferret out what they can.

mongooseeds
    ?

thank you for that, i was kind of lost about where to start.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear your Grandad has Altzheimers: it is a truly terrible condition. My father in law has it.

Here are some links for you:

Veterans-UK

The National Archives

Cheers, Ade.

mongooseeds
    ?

Thought i'de keep you updated with some more info - Sgt Frank James Arthur Cox joined 550 Lancaster Squadron in 1943. we have a box full of his flight logs which i am going to pore through at some point!

Also, we have found out that my great aunt has a box of WW1 items in her atic, so my collection will have a starting point, i will start a thread with pics once i have got the box to my house and had a look through

Many Thanks for all the links, they have been great help

Goose!

This all sounds very encouraging: I look forwards to seeing more.

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

Love to see the WW1 items, the only thing my lot have in the attic are woodworm.

Hi Goose,

Here's a link to the 550 Sqn Association. I'm thinking it may prove a useful place to get you started! Photograph Collection RAF 550 Squadron and North Killingholme Association

Good Luck, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

mongooseeds
    ?

he is in one of the pictures which is great! Thanks ned!

mongooseeds
    ?

and here he is!

again i appologise for the large picture, cant seem to make the thing smaller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast