Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Learning new things everyday!

Article about: I recently spent time back home in New Zealand with my Grandparents, they have only just started talking to me about there memories from the wars and about my family during the war, I learnt

?

Default Re: Learning new things everyday!

Caleb,

Great story about your family! I can relate, I would much rather spend my time reading online and looking for new additions to my collection than go to a party or club. All of my friends think that my collection is cool but very few share my passion for studying history. Good thing we have this forum!

I never got to speak much with my grandfather about his experiences in the WWII era. He was only 5 when war broke out but he was the youngest of 13 brothers and sisters, so many had some involvement in one way or another in the war effort. He passed away when I was 13, and my interest in collecting WWII militaria really didn't pick up till about 17 or so. I always was sort of bummed that my grandfather either didn't have or didn't want to share any war stories, let alone have any war souvenirs. But one day to my surprise when I was helping my grandmother around her home I went into my grandpa's work shed and found a Japanese Bayonet! If only I could ask him where he got it! But at minimum I have it and that was a gift in itself!

-Doug

Default Re: Learning new things everyday!

Wow Doug, cool story, I'm fairly lucky to still have 3 of my grandparents, to have those bayonets is a great reminder not only of your grandfather but of the war itself! Thanks for sharing!

Caleb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2