Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for information on U.S. Navy SeaBee and Bring Back Helmet

Article about: I recently purchased a Japanese type 90 steel helmet that was sent back to the U.S. by a Navy CB. The helmet has been painted in CB fashion and was returned to the States in its custom field

Default Looking for information on U.S. Navy SeaBee and Bring Back Helmet

I recently purchased a Japanese type 90 steel helmet that was sent back to the U.S. by a Navy CB. The helmet has been painted in CB fashion and was returned to the States in its custom field made box. The serviceman placed a number of address labels on the box and stapled postage stamps to the outside in order to guarantee postage home. The Navy man's labels read: R.L. Hubbard, CM2c, 17th. NCBat. USN, CC: A3, %F.P.O., San Francisco, CA The family stated that the relative did not survive the war and they believed that he was KIA on Okinawa. The 17th did appear to serve on both Iwo Jima and Okinawa. I have access to the standard internet only and have been unable to find anything other than the 17th CB's unit history. Any help or confirmation on this sailor and/or his service record would be most appreciated.

MichaelB

I wanted to follow-up on my earlier post and ask if anyone could suggest a place(s) to access that might provide information on my sailor? I do not have any subscriptions to official genealogy sites and wanted to know if that was the only way to go. Thanks again for any suggestions.

MichaelB

Default Japanese Type 90 Helmet...

Looking for information on U.S. Navy SeaBee and Bring Back HelmetLooking for information on U.S. Navy SeaBee and Bring Back HelmetPosting a few images of the helmet and "Send Back" box. Still hoping some of the experts out there can give advice on how to track down my CB or else provide a leg up on his identity via "the records". Thank you, MichaelB

Sorry for double posting the image!!!

Here is a close up of the label. MichaelBLooking for information on U.S. Navy SeaBee and Bring Back Helmet

Default Japanese Type 90 Helmet...

Here is another close up of the label and the box. MichaelBLooking for information on U.S. Navy SeaBee and Bring Back HelmetLooking for information on U.S. Navy SeaBee and Bring Back Helmet

?

Michael , i'm sorry that i am unable to help you with your enquiries but would just like to say i love the helmet and postage box with the details , a fantastic find
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Alan-
    Thanks so much for the feedback. It's a great helmet and send back box. Unfortunately, while I have a name, rank, etc. I have no identity which puts a big fat zero right in the middle of the history of the piece, other than the history of the 17th CB's. I am receiving quite a few views on this one too, although no one has responded. My guess is that others out there have had the same degree of trouble as me in tracking "R.L. Hubbard"..... Now if the name was L.R. Hubbard, that would be a different story!

MichaelB

Report uncovered by a forum member indicates a possible MIA date of Dec., 2, 1944 for SEA1 R.L Hubbard, USNR. The 17th CB 's were stationed on Saipan at this time and suffered casualties in the months of Nov.-Dec. following heavy bombardment. It's possible that Hubbard was one of those casualties....I'm not sure how to trace further.
    MichaelB

MAP
    ?

First. That is a fantastic find!

Have you checked some of the find a grave sites (if he was KIA overseas this may not work). Also the NARA database? Again, this does not provide much but it is a start.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Michael-
    Thank you for your message back this way and sorry for my late reply. I believe from the data gathered so far that my fellow was KIA in the heavy bombing on Saipan. There is a U.S. Navy SeaBee museum at Port Hueneme, CA that is supposed to have information on the guys who were KIA. I need to call them to follow up on this in order to finish up with the project. It is on my list of things to do for this week, so I can hopefully "put it to bed". I will post here once I hear something from them. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Best,

MichaelB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast