Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Montevideo Maru

Article about: An article in todays paper,reminded me of this WW2 tragedy. July 1st 1942,the Montevideo Maru a Japanese auxiliary ship transporting 845 POWs mostly Australian and 208 Civilian Internees,was

Default Montevideo Maru

An article in todays paper,reminded me of this WW2 tragedy.

July 1st 1942,the Montevideo Maru a Japanese auxiliary ship transporting 845 POWs mostly Australian and 208 Civilian Internees,was sunk by the American Submarine,USS Sturgeon.(The ship was not marked,as a POW transport)
    Resulting in the worst maritime disaster in Australias history.Of the ship's total complement of about 1,140 (including 88 crew), there were reportedly only 18 survivors (all crewmen).
    Lest we Forget

Read more here;
    Montevideo Maru
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Montevideo Maru  

Default Re: Montevideo Maru

Bump

Lest we Forget

Lest We Forget

A cruel tragedy...

A very sad event.

Hi Guys

I have recently finished reading the "Darkest Hour" The True Story of Lark Force at Rabaul - Australia's Worst Military Disaster of World War II by Bruce Gamble.

Our nations leaders should have faced criminal charges for their lack of preparation and then how those poor bastards were abandoned. The whole fiasco being covered up by being ignored by the Government.

A great read but the maps are deficient, in fact bloody useless!. I found the book an emotional roller coaster to read. From anger at the Government, to pride at the way the men behaved in adversity, to laughter at their defiance of the Japanese as prisoners, disbelief at the risks taken by the small party who rescued several hundred by sea (Australias Dunkirk), sadness at the massacres and then at the loss of over 1000 men and women being sent to Japan on the Montevideo Maru that was sunk by the US Sub. I also felt pity for the skipper of the sub, I am sure that when he found out what the cargo was that the spectre would have haunted him.

I commend this book to everyone to read.

Regards Dutchy