Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My father's Vietnam era Zippo

Article about: Hi everyone, Thought I would share a few shots of my dad's Zippo from when he served in Vietnam. He was an Air Traffic Controller all his life. His career started in the USAF, and he had a v

Default My father's Vietnam era Zippo

Hi everyone,

Thought I would share a few shots of my dad's Zippo from when he served in Vietnam.

He was an Air Traffic Controller all his life. His career started in the USAF, and he had a very successful career both here in the US and internationally. Internationally because of the entire PATCO situation with controllers in the early 80's. I'm certainly thankful for the international exposure it gave me as a kid! Probably the coolest thing I have from my dad, which is quite ironic, since he died from oral cancer from smoking. XX by the way, was his ATC Call Sign, that he carried throughout his career.

I also included a few period photos. I'm not sure, but these I believe are in Da Nang.

Anyway, here's some pics. There's a lot of fakes out there I've noticed regarding Vietnam lighters. This one I can tell you is genuine!

Who else has some nice Zippos from Vietnam? Share em!

My father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era Zippo

My father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era ZippoMy father's Vietnam era Zippo

Very interesting.
    I wonder if your dad knew my dad. My dad was a air traffic controller in
    NKP Thailand (1971-73) but I know he spent some time in Da Nang
    Last edited by Chopperman; 08-11-2015 at 04:19 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Nice iconic item to have to honor the memory of your father.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Excellent vintage Zippo! Thanks for posting! As you said, genuine Viet Nam lighters are like hen's teeth! (I like the "modified" dancing Snoopy with thoughts of "sex" in his head!)
    Last edited by Wagriff; 08-11-2015 at 07:47 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A wonderful piece of history which really brings close to home that period of your dad's life. Great photo's as well, he sure "cuts" the US Airman's classic look! Thanks for sharing it. Leon.

Thanks for your comments and feedback everyone!

?

That is a great centimental item you have of your fathers service

And here is a kicker. The radar your father is standing in front of is what I work on here at MCAS Yuma and they want to keep using it until 2025.
    Its a FPN 63 Precision Approach Radar. Or PAR as we so lovingly call it. She's an olde but goodie. The cab to the left in your picture is where the controllers would sit. At our site we used fiber optics to get the feed into our facility.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is a great centimental item you have of your fathers service

And here is a kicker. The radar your father is standing in front of is what I work on here at MCAS Yuma and they want to keep using it until 2025.
    Its a FPN 63 Precision Approach Radar. Or PAR as we so lovingly call it. She's an olde but goodie. The cab to the left in your picture is where the controllers would sit. At our site we used fiber optics to get the feed into our facility.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil for that additional info! I had no idea, and that's great to know!