Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My G-Granndpa Bill Oatman,war hero's memoirs

Article about: ironically this is also my great grandfather

?

Default Re: My G-Granndpa Bill Oatman,war hero's memoirs

Quote by Dean View Post
    Indeed. As said before in the other thread, this was what I either read in a book at three in the morning in jail after a drunken bar fight or what my Aunt remembered hearing about him,and you know how stories get changed from one person to another, but i posted that BEFORE I read THIS official account , THEN after that post I tried looking more up about him and discovered what eventually became this thread. He DID swing twice after he jumped out because his WING was on fire. Maybe that's where things got confused. As far as him Dining with Germans and radioing back info, this was what my Aunt told me. In reality , he was working with the french underground and Im sure the french family translated what the German said and the info was passed on to the French underground. So, "no". maybe he didnt do Exactly what I heard he did by word of mouth after 70 years but you know how that goes, Im just glad to know what really happened. And as far 'Wasting precious bandwidth', I think this not a waste. Besides, it's easier to read this way and a lot of people dont like to have to click on links because they're lazy. The link is mainly me just citing my source so you dont think Im LYING! I hope this clears things up.
    Dean, as I explained in my answer to your PM; I merely had some questions.
    Having visited the the Invasion areas several times, one cant help being interested in all accounts in regards to this.
    Of course, I dont think you are LYING, I havent implied that at all and that was certainly not my intention (no need to shout BTW).
    You did answer some of my questions and Id tend to agree; ones memory in jail after a drunken barfight might not be the best.
    Not that I have ever been in jail after a drunken barfight.
    I am still very genuinely interested in other subjects (such as jumping in dress uniforms and the claim of Germans cutting Paratroopers private parts off while the GIs were hanging from trees in their chutes), but as I dont want you to have your emotions stirred any further, that might best be left for another thread.

Ouch, Scout , please, these may well be the recountering of the occurrences to the best of the individual's recall , 40,50 or 60 years later. My family has seen military service for generations, both German and Australian, and I have been questioned continuously by family members about my service. I simply wont discuss it as it is incomprehensible to someone who has not served or found themselves in like situation. Having said that , if asked, every person I ever fought was 15kg heavier , 6 inches taller and better armed than in reality.
    I myself would like Dean to treasure a high;ly personal account of a family member's service

?

Quote by greimers View Post
    Ouch, Scout , please, these may well be the recountering of the occurrences to the best of the individual's recall , 40,50 or 60 years later. My family has seen military service for generations, both German and Australian, and I have been questioned continuously by family members about my service. I simply wont discuss it as it is incomprehensible to someone who has not served or found themselves in like situation. Having said that , if asked, every person I ever fought was 15kg heavier , 6 inches taller and better armed than in reality.
    I myself would like Dean to treasure a high;ly personal account of a family member's service
    Ouch what!? You usually seem able to comprehend posts here quite fine and until now seemed like a pretty sensible person, from what I remember without resorting to sifting through posts.
    I deliberately pointed out, that I do not think Dean or anybody is lying.
    I deliberately pointed out, that Im genuinely interested in the points being brought up (Still am for that matter. Jump dress and war atrocities). I am not disputing anything, as i have stated ad nauseam!!!!!
    Most who have trawled the invasion countryside several times would know what im talking about.
    You can not visit Normandy, Pegasus Bridge etc etc etc and not be moved and I guess those who do bother to go there have a genuine interest.
    Now, is there something you do not understand about wanting to know about jump apparel or war crimes.
    I am not in the habit either about talking about my trips to Iraq and two tours to Astan, as most cant fathom the things going on. My GF dont know and she dont want to know. She saw me and how I was when I got home and that was enough. It takes a bit of time to get used to Dullsville.
    The ones we fought were not bigger; most were skinnier and mostly doped up. Some of them sober and very good soldiers. Not that our troops see much of them lately. These days its mostly IEDs.
    Why I just wasted a few minutes writing this, I dont know. Why you bothered, I understand even less: It has all been covered in both the above and as can also be seen in the above by PM which Dean wrote to me and which I answered.
    Dean did clarify some points by saying pretty much the same as you do. Something get lost after many years + as Dean pointed out, his recollections was for some reason after a night spent in jail after a drunken bar brawl. If you bothered to read my posts, you would see the exact same has been covered.
    As stated above, I consider this a closed matter here and if you read the thread, i cant fathom why you would pursue it
    This is silly. Let it be.

Well I've been spanked, Scout I actually appreciated what you said and unfortunately, the point being missed, I actually took the piss out of myself. Done & dusted.

?

Quote by greimers View Post
    Well I've been spanked, Scout I actually appreciated what you said and unfortunately, the point being missed, I actually took the piss out of myself. Done & dusted.
    No problemo
    Hope I didnt come on too strong.
    Had several other things on my mind - trying to multitask - and got a bit impatient.

No problems brother, - Dullsville hard, talking with others helps

Regards,

Grant

?

All right, I hope you got it all out , fellas..and Scout, I'm sure you've seen tough things in your life as a warrior and so did my Great Grandad. I'm sure you nor him are lying about what you've seen in the battle field . As for not ever getting in a drunken bar brawl...I highly suggest it once in a while...very therapeutic! Also helps living in Dullsville.

P.S.
    You should see the other guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images My G-Granndpa Bill Oatman,war hero's memoirs 

?

Hah, I wouldnt buy a used car from the bloke in that pic
    In answer to your post above; I dont talk about the bad experiences themselves, so no need to tell a lie. Not that I believe any deliberate lies were told in this thread, as mentioned repeatedly.
    I never needed to vent in a bar brawl. I got more than enough excitement in Astan :-)
    BTW I answered your last PM. You inbox is full - delete some PMs.
    Anyway, thanks for the PM. Right back at you: No worries, Dean

?

Awesome Dean~! Great family history, and it made it easier to read when you posted it on the thread itself. Also helpful, in case the link goes down in the fututre, we will have the story/history saved here!
    An Incredible man and may he RIP. I know the frustration you feel, that we dont have our family members in our lives anymore to be able to ask questions. At least you have written memories to be proud of and keep alive!

?

Thanks Bill. You are a good man.You are also the progeny of a war hero and have very nice mementos to remember him by and must be very proud of him. Even if you and I dont go to Europe to dig this year, I'm sure I will be in your neck of the woods for a family reunion soon. Maybe not VA but PA, but thats not too far. PA has some good flea markets!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast