Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

my grandfather

Article about: hi any one know how to gather info on my grandfather , he joined the RAF and was trained as a navigator in gerogia usa then returned home and served on sunderlands before being posted and su

Default my grandfather

hi any one know how to gather info on my grandfather , he joined the RAF and was trained as a navigator in gerogia usa then returned home and served on sunderlands before being posted and subsequently crashing in a lend lease hudson in india i know his original rank was sergeant or flight sergeant and his name was alan francis pavey not to be confused with the pilot of the same identical name who was shot down over france in 1944

?

Default Re: my grandfather

If he was on Sunderlands it may be possible to trace his units and as i understand it the RAF records are very good , hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction, i'll make a few enquiries myself,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi, PJ44:

I've checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commision site for your man, but it just shows the Flt.Lt. kia France.

As Paul E. says, RAF records are usually pretty good--but then so are CWGC.

Best of luck with your search.

PG

he wasnt the flt lt killed in france ironicallt the guy had the exact name as my grandfather and ppl sent commiseration letters etc after the war he tracked down the flt lts family and took his sister to france to lay flowers as she couldnt afford to , my grandfather didnt pass away till 200 but was deff crash n burn in india and served on sunderlands first which is where he married my grandmother who was serving on board a minesweeper