Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

NAAFI Radio, please help

Article about: Pictured below is a NAAFI radio. I am trying to find out whether it is from WWII or a later period. I hope that is some radio buffs out there, if not can you direct me to a forum, thank, Joh

Default NAAFI Radio, please help

Pictured below is a NAAFI radio. I am trying to find out whether it is from WWII or a later period. I hope that is some radio buffs out there, if not can you direct me to a forum, thank, John.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NAAFI Radio, please help   NAAFI Radio, please help  

NAAFI Radio, please help   NAAFI Radio, please help  

OKW
    ?

Default Re: NAAFI Radio, please help

I would have thought that for an early naafi radio the construction would have been bakerlite or similar. There also seems to be a switch to select radio or gram(record player?) i don't think many servicemen had access to or the funds to buy records in wartime and this makes me think the set is post war.

Hi John, this is a tough one. I really like the styling of it: but it could equally be early 1950's as you know doubt suspect too? I did a search on the Company but only got one hit.

See if this link is any help?

Ham Radio Forum : Internet and Radio: Forums

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi John, this is a tough one. I really like the styling of it: but it could equally be early 1950's as you know doubt suspect too? I did a search on the Company but only got one hit.

See if this link is any help?

Ham Radio Forum : Internet and Radio: Forums

Cheers, Ade.
    Aide, thanks for your reply. I have put this radio up on a radio forum and I was told that the firm went out of production in 1951, so getting closer to WWII. John.

Quote by OKW View Post
    I would have thought that for an early naafi radio the construction would have been bakerlite or similar. There also seems to be a switch to select radio or gram(record player?) i don't think many servicemen had access to or the funds to buy records in wartime and this makes me think the set is post war.
    I think that the metal casing is fine for a wartime radio in use by the NAAFI, it conforms to the military radios of the time. I think that the records would have been owned by the NAAFI rather than by individual soldiers. John.

Hi John, glad you have found out some extra info

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi John, glad you have found out some extra info

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, more info.Magnita were a division of the British Vacuum Cleaner and Engineering Co. better known as the "Goblin" cleaner. Magneta"s were more familiar as makers of Time Recording Clocks

As you well know many companys went over to war production and my hopes are still up for my set to be WWII. Regards, John.