Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Need help: How to research British soldiers?

Article about: Ive been researching my familys military history for the past couple of years especially the ones who served in ww1 and ww2, Im amazed how many direct relatives actually served in both world

AIF
    ?

Default Need help: How to research British soldiers?

Ive been researching my familys military history for the past couple of years especially the ones who served in ww1 and ww2, Im amazed how many direct relatives actually served in both world wars! One cool thing I found out was my great granfather is the cousin of Jack Cornwell the second youngest winner of the Victoria Cross
    Anyway here in Australia its really simple to research someones military service but am unsure how to go about it with British records, Im hoping some one on here can point me in the right direction.
    Heres the guy Im trying to find out about, he is my great great great uncle lol
    All I really know is his name was George Cornwell, and he fought in the British army at Waterloo in 1815, but I dont know his service number or unit unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Need help: How to research British soldiers?

Sadly here in the UK, things are not as easy as in Oz, if you are talking WW2 that is.

Take a look here:

service records sar form requests

I can help with WW1 records and some pre 1914 stuff.

Cheers, Ade.

AIF
    ?

Cheers for that Ade, Im not trying to find ww2 records but early 1800s ones I know its probably a long shot but thought I would ask anyway

I can help a little with those via my membership of Ancestry.

Cheers, Ade.

AIF
    ?

That would be great mate I will get back to you with some more details, I will pop around to my nans some time during the week and pick up the family tree, hopefully I have his date of birth on it.
    Thanks heaps mate.

Lucas