Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

One hell of a heart warming story in the making.....

Article about: Well guys i went down to mandurah RAAF retirement village to return the braclet to Bill, gee what an experience!!! Told me lots of unreal stories and some really bad ones that he hasnt told

Default One hell of a heart warming story in the making.....

First thing i want to say is that i have 100% respect for all our guys and gals in the armed service. My pop was in ww2 and i have allways looked up to all our diggers and what happend today brough a tear to my eye and goose bumps all over my body.

Story goes.....

My whole like i have had a coin collection . In this collection there are a few odds and ends like an old pocket knife, some old war medal and a old bracelet with a piece of aluminium carved into the shape of Australia. Engraved onto this is a guys name and rank and "R.A.N"

For years i have wanted to look up the family and give it to them. As of a year ago i took it to work and in my spare time i rang everyone with that second name with no luck. I left the bracelet on my desk at work determend to find the family of the guy and pass it on.

Today i had a strong feeling to try again, something really strong came over me so i got on whitepages and looked up again.

I tryed the first 4 and no luck and 2 to go. next call i got a lady and she hummed and harrd then said " There is a Bob down in mandura thats the last surviving and the oldest. I was happy that i now had a possible lead to a family member.

I then rang and it just about rang out when finally a guy pics up. I said " Hi my names Marc and im sorry to bother you but i have a old bracelet shaped in the shape of Australia with ........... engraved on it. Now for the shock!!! he said "Thats me". I had goose bums from head to toe but the most spun out bit was to come. He was so happy he found it. he had been looking for it and told me the history. They were off shore bombing softening up the beach for the troops and a japanese zero flew over, he was on B gun and they shot it down. Later they went ashore and took pieces as momentos and this little Australia was carvd out of the wreckage and made it for a id bracelet!!!!! I couldnt belive what i was hearing!! he was telling me all about the ilsands they were moored up at and some of the battals

I said i would drop it off for him. He sounded so happy and it really made me emotional. I will go drop it off next week and cant wait to see it back on his arm! I will have a drink with him and tell a few storys. I will get some pics and will try video it.

What a day!

Here is a picture of the bracelt....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Default Re: One hell of a heart warming story in the making.....

I had a call from his son thanking me and was blown away that i had found it.
    I told him it would have it back in his dads hands as soon as possible.
    Such a good feeling

?

Nice one good on ya for returning it to him Well Done Mate

Quote by Studl View Post
    Nice one good on ya for returning it to him Well Done Mate
    Thanks mate, yeah i had such a strong feeling from this item. Its almost like its ment to be.
    I will be taking it back to him next week. I will take some pics with him and it back on his wrist and post them up for you all

?

Great story and Im sure you have made this vet very happy indeed! Im glad to hear it worked out for both of you

Cheers, Edwin

?

Good job Marc!

?

You earned a star for your crown lad.
    SteveR

That was good of you to get in contact and return it. If there were more people like you in this world im sure it would be a better place. He must have been so suprised when you got in contact with him. Has he told you how he lost it yet?

James

Cheers guys, this was something that just had to be back in the owners hands again and im so glad i got it to him while he is alive and now he can have something to pass on to his family

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast