Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

One hell of a heart warming story in the making.....

Article about: Well guys i went down to mandurah RAAF retirement village to return the braclet to Bill, gee what an experience!!! Told me lots of unreal stories and some really bad ones that he hasnt told

Default Re: One hell of a heart warming story in the making.....

Cheers guys, yeah it has to be one of the best feelings to see the look on his face when he got it back.
    For years i held this braclet and it was like it was screaming at me to get it back to its owner and now every ones happy and it was such a pleasure and honour to meen a survivor of ww2 battles.

I just had an email from a guy that seen this story on another forum. His pop was on the HMAS Napier and wanted more info. I supplied he with all the info that i was told by Bill. Helped this guy with some important info for his pop. He wanted to contact Bill but i said its best to leave him be to enjoy the rest of his life. I dont want anyone hassling him or asking to many questions. Some of the stuff he told me brought tears to his eyes and i knew there was alot more he wasnt saying and the last thing i would want is for him to re live some of the things he didnt want to tell

Marc, I actually choked up reading this and seeing those pictures. Well done my friend! God bless you and all those like you with generous hearts that think of others ahead of themselves

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony. This is one story i will never forget. Still cant belive i was holding a piece of a jap zero and gave it back to one of the guys who shot it down.
    Was so good to have the call from his son thanking me. Great little thing to pass down his family

- - Updated - -

Also R.I.P to the Pilot

?

Regards,
    John

This is an amazing story, glad to have read it!

?

Quote by tailor marc View Post
    I just had an email from a guy that seen this story on another forum. His pop was on the HMAS Napier and wanted more info. I supplied he with all the info that i was told by Bill. Helped this guy with some important info for his pop. He wanted to contact Bill but i said its best to leave him be to enjoy the rest of his life. I dont want anyone hassling him or asking to many questions. Some of the stuff he told me brought tears to his eyes and i knew there was alot more he wasnt saying and the last thing i would want is for him to re live some of the things he didnt want to tell
    Why don't you ask Bill if it's OK. I have had family members of other crew members ask me about certain things that My Friend and left waist gunner on my Uncle's B17 knew about. I asked him first if it would be OK to be contacted and he was more than happy to help out other's. There were a lot of his stories that were rather descriptive about what happened the day they were shot down and his time in Stalag 17B. His daughter contacted me and thanked me, saying her father was very happy to know that people still care about what they did almost 70 years ago.
    Just my 2 centavos
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phil, thats a good idea. Im sure i can find Bills Number again even if i contact the RAAF village. Will definatly do that . Will be good to chat to him again. Will do this

I agree with AZPhil. I think its important that as long as the veteran is willing (obviously), his or her story should be heard by as many people as possible. I have interviewed a few vets and find that as long as you do not ask probing or insensitive questions then they are more than happy to talk about their experiences, so you may be surprised. Hope the guy gets the info he is after.

Marc, I think what you did is really commendable and generous. I'm happy you were able to give it back to Bill directly. I always hope when I see these sort of stories (especially if an item is given to relatives of the vet) that the item in question will actually be wanted and cared for. Obviously this was very much the case with Bill. Well done!

Marc, this is a terrific story and your part in it is just outstanding! Well done on your efforts to find this man and return the bracelet, I think that is a really decent thing to do and, no doubt, very rewarding for yourself. I hope good things come your way mate and I'm proud your an Aussie!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast