Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Operation Colour Scheme - Mobilisation of the NFS to cover the build up to D Day

Article about: I have just completed the scanning of an album produced by the Chief Fire Officer of Fire force 31 ( the name given to the area covering East Sussex and some of West Sussex, Surrey and Kent)

hildergen
    ?

Hi Rob
    I have just come across this forum while researching a book on the WW2 history of Barcombe, and these are the first photos I have seen of Conyboro camp. These are great photos, so thanks for posting them.

You mention that you also have some photos of the camp at Sutton Hall. Is there somewhere I can see these please? I wonder whether the part-time men of Barcombe Fire Brigade would have taken a role in manning these appliances?

I would like to have a look those documents at ESRO that give details of training areas and billeting arrangements. What is there reference please?

Thanks again

?

The photos of the NFS mobile coloumbs are brilliant, it's not well known but NFS serving in France after D-Day, deployed to give fire cover to ammo dumpd Etc, where equipped with 37 patten webbing and armed for self protection. I remember an old Divisonal officer, when I worked in Surrey Fire and Rescue Workshops, who had been trained in handling small arms up to the Bren. at The Guards Depot when it was at Caterham (now of Caterham 7 fame).
    I belive the SF&RS musuem has some details of this at Reigate HQ.
    Regards
    Tiffy

?

Great thread for both home front & army/navy enthusiasts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2