MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Operation Market-Garden

Article about: The fun is gone, now most of the veterans are paaed away or not able to make it anymore, remember some 20 years or so ago, we stay in the bar until late after mignight listening to there sto

Default Re: Operation Market-Garden

Ade is an authority on Market Garden. He has been to Arnhem a few times and knows some of the veterans

Nick
    Last edited by Woolgar; 08-30-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

You must watch this 1946 British film Mo

Operation Market-Garden

All the actors were Market Garden vet's
    A viewing must
    Cheers
    Dave

Volksjager from the forum here has a large section of parachute from market garden which he picked up a few months back, if he reads this he might post some pics of it. It is really good, he even got pics of the bloke digging up the parachute from his paddock.

You should read: It never snows in September. Taken from the point of the Germans. Describes how hard the fighting was.Some of the Germans had fought on the Eastern front and said they had never known fighting like at Arnhem.

You are right it is a bit like the Alamo on Rourkes drift. It is very much clebebrated amongst the Parachute Regiment circle.
    I also have the then and now books on Arnhem which are really interesting and of course Cornelius Ryan a bridge too far.

Quote by davesap250 View Post
    You should read: It never snows in September. Taken from the point of the Germans. Describes how hard the fighting was.Some of the Germans had fought on the Eastern front and said they had never known fighting like at Arnhem.

You are right it is a bit like the Alamo on Rourkes drift. It is very much clebebrated amongst the Parachute Regiment circle.
    I also have the then and now books on Arnhem which are really interesting and of course Cornelius Ryan a bridge too far.
    Indeed, as per the quote from Bittrich on my signature

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Like Gary said there as some topics around, I also posted some arnhem relics

The Grey Goose at Arnhem and Arnhem Lift (I think that's what they are called) are must read books - both first hand accounts. I have a FS knife which was owned by a para at Arnhem. (I'm at work at the moment and will post it later as a well as a bit about him.)

The Grey Goos written by leo Heaps, should be read with a pinch of salt, Remember Arnhem about the 1 Recce Squadron is still one of the best I have seen during the 35 years of research about the Batlle I have done ,and ofcourse my own publications

I'm the same way as you described, I get hooked on a particular campaign or or engagement. Check this series out if you haven't already. Its the best ww2 documentary series IMO. I have all 31 episodes that I know exist. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you saw it. Had to buy off Ebay UK couple years back but think some episodes are for sale in the U.S. now. If you re interested and can't find it you could send me a PM & I'll send you a copy. Can't help think about the video clip I've seen on every documentary I've ever watched on Market Garden where the German troops on ground were all firing on those poor chaps floating down in their chutes with MG42's and a anti-aircraft gun. What a helpless feeling that must have been. Can't imagine .Operation Market-GardenOperation Market-Garden

One of my favourite subjects! Been there over 20 times.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast