Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Question about rank advancement in WW2

Article about: Hello everyone, hope all is well. I am doing some research on from a paper cache I found. I was reading the discharge papers for a Lt. Colonel, from World War 2. His papers state that he lef

Default Question about rank advancement in WW2

Hello everyone, hope all is well. I am doing some research on from a paper cache I found. I was reading the discharge papers for a Lt. Colonel, from World War 2. His papers state that he left the Army as a LT Colonel, the odd thing is he was only in the army for four years. Is this common for him to advance so fast? If any information is needed just please ask. Thank you,

From
    Shortbuss55

MAP
    ?

Not common but it did happen. And probably more often than you think. That said if he was regular army and stayed in the army he most likely would have dropped down to his original (or close to his original) rank post war

Will let others with more experience or who actually served in the military correct me if the disagree

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Map for your replay! It turns out he was in the army and then left in 1946, then went back into service around 1948, I think it said he was in the Army Air Force.

Thanks,
    From
    Shortbuss55

MAP
    ?

What was his rank when he went back into service in 48.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

He entered in 1942 as a Major, his MOS was "Military Attache"?. On the back of the separation qualification record states that he was a Captain in the national guard. But I haven't seen anything from the national guard. I haven't see any paper work from when he went back in. I just have documents of his work from 48. All of the paper work has him classified and LT Colonel.

From
    Shortbuss55

MAP
    ?

I'm sure others can provide more color. If i understand....his discharge papers have him as an LC at the end of the war. Don't think its unusual for his National Guard rank would be lower (Captain)

Yes you are right.

It was possible under wartime circumstances as already stated to go up quite abit in rank when suddenly so many more troops are raised and need to be commanded.

I have recently been researching an officer who dropped from Major (honorary) back down to 2nd Lt after the war.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for your replay, what y'all are saying makes since.

From
    Shortbuss

?

The most extreme case I can think of is Roland Boys Bradford, VC,MC, of the Durham Light Infamtry, who, at age 25 , was appointed a temp Brig.Genl., on 13 Nov., 1917, only to be KIA on 30 Nov.

BobS