Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Research help on a ww1 and ww2 vet.

Article about: Thank you much Eric, This is why I cannot find him after the last 1948 date. I will try to get my friend to scan 3 or 4 letters and will post them here. There are around 40 in total.

Default Research help on a ww1 and ww2 vet.

Hello all,
    I have been doing some research to help a friend who picked up some ww1 letters at auction.
    The person writing the letters was a veteran of ww1 and ww2 in the us marines ( i think)
    I was wondering if anyone can help me into finding his date of death or the death certificate?
    If you can it would help a bunch.
    His details are,
    Eugene Lei Cox
    July 15 1879 Brooklyn New york
    I can only find him up to 1948 then he dissapears.
    Thanks to anyone who helps.

Default Re: Research help on a ww1 and ww2 vet.

If he was born in 1879 there is a chance that he could have been in WW1 but I would have thought that he would have been too old for WW1 and WW2. Maybe he was in the USMC earlier than WW1?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    If he was born in 1879 there is a chance that he could have been in WW1 but I would have thought that he would have been too old for WW1 and WW2. Maybe he was in the USMC earlier than WW1?
    I got records of him working as a chief engineer in ww2 going to Wales, France and Belgium.
    I guess in 1948 he must of retired or passed away.

- - Updated - -

Also got him in ww1 and after the war going to Gibraltar.

Gosh, must have been quite an old boy then. Do you know what the letters are about?

?

Hi Daniel,
    Are you positive he was military? Do the letters identify a rank or any other information that would confirm he was military?

The reason I ask is there is no record for him in the USMC Muster Rolls during WWI or the USMC and USN Muster Rolls during WWII. Actually, during WWI, inter-war period and WWII, he was working as an engineer on civilian shipping vessels. I imagine, however, he was heavily involved in the transport of military personnel and equipment during both wars which could explain the content of the letters...

In his WWII Registration Card (circa 1941), he identifies the company he is working for as Mystic Steamship Company:

Below is the earliest Crew Manifest that he appears in where he is identified as 2nd Engineer. It is dated 29 August 1918:

And here are a few other summaries of Crew Manifests he appears in. During the WWII era Manifests, he is identified as Chief Engineer:

As for finding additional information on him, he pretty much disappears after the 1948 manifests for me...He appears in 2 family trees, both of which do not provide a DOD:

They do, however, identify his wife, Pauline. She passed away in 1972. He also had a daughter, Evelyn, who passed away in 2008 in Toms River, NJ.

Not much else that I could find...

?

Just saw your post which was added while I was putting together the information I provided. Your information corraborates what I've provided and confirms he was not military, but rather a Civilian engineer on shipping vessels.

Still, considering the places he was traveling during those war periods, he likely ran into some interesting situations. Would be interesting to see what the letters are about...

?

I tried searching another source for his DOD, however no luck. I was able to locate his WWI Registration Card. Occupation is Marine Engineer:

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Just saw your post which was added while I was putting together the information I provided. Your information corraborates what I've provided and confirms he was not military, but rather a Civilian engineer on shipping vessels.

Still, considering the places he was traveling during those war periods, he likely ran into some interesting situations. Would be interesting to see what the letters are about...
    Hello, I think he wasn't in combat but more of working on supply ships.
    The letters are censored out a lot in ww1
    while he describes almost like a diary while at sea.
    The others are more of a romantic nature.
    Thanks for the help so far, I found a lot of his personal information from ancestory websites. His father was a pastor.
    the death certificate is what is alluding me.

?

And for any others doing similar research, the 1930 Census (truncated version below) has a section where the person is identified as a veteran. For Eugene, he is not identified as one ("No") meaning he did not serve.

Typically, for a WWI vet, "WW" (World War) would be noted in this secition:

?

No problem. The death cert will be hard to find. I don't believe the NY death certs have been made public record, at least to sources such as Ancestry or Familysearch.org. You'll likely have to submit a FOI request to obtain it.

The next best option would of course be his SSDI record, however if he died before 1962, he likely will not be listed in this database. This probably explains why I can't find him in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast