Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

royal scots fusiliers

Article about: Hi Guys, about a week ago i had a dream and in it i can remember a photo of my Grandfather in army uniform I had seen this years before the dream so no spooky stuff but the dream stirred my

Default royal scots fusiliers

Hi Guys, about a week ago i had a dream and in it i can remember a photo of my Grandfather in army uniform I had seen this years before the dream so no spooky stuff but the dream stirred my interest

So I went to see my Grandmother to enquire about the photo and see what info she had, she went on to say, my Grandfather Hugh Murray was in the Royal Scots Fusilers when called up for National Service from around 1952 untill 1954, she remembers he was in stationed in Germany and thats whare he is in the photo below with the Alsation. She says he was also in Korea and at the Suez Canal crisis as well as having the United Nations medal he also had a pin that showed the ribbon colours to what he held his medals were stolen when he was still alive and about 25 years ago I never met my Grandfather he died the year before I was born 19th Feb 1984.

Also my Grandmother was alot younger than my Grandfather and used to write him during his army days as a young lass, my Grandfather also had a German girlfreind Imgard Hirsch (spelling maybe wrong) who he had got pregnant but was parted from her and shipped home with the army. This affected him for years after so i now know i have German relatives all this info i have only found out today and i really cant believe i haven't done it before now as none other in the families interested this is the only surviving photo of his Army days.

Now my question is would I be able to pay for copies of his Korea medal etc from the authorities? I am getting help from friend and forum member Donnie on how to apply for his army service records.

Any help or thoughts much appreciated!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture royal scots fusiliers   royal scots fusiliers  

Default Re: royal scots fusiliers

See here about replacing the medals;

Replacing campaign medals

Cheers, Ade.

hi ade cheers for the link ade although i think this part could be a problem ''these cases the MOD may replace the medal if proof of the loss is provided in the form of a Police Report or a claim to an insurance company''

once i have obtained his army record and know exactly what badges he had i will need to buy reproduction ones better than nothing i suppose.

cheers again ade

I think you should be able to obtain originals OK. Let me know what you need and I will see if I can help point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Ade.

ade i will do my gran says he had a korea medal and a un medal, who knows we will wait and see i know nothing of this part of history/militaria.

cheers ewan