Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Story of R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF

Article about: Well done!

Default The Story of R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF

Just want to show what can be done with a named MKII here in Australia.
    (just showing off really )

I just got this named Australian 1941 MkII.While i was waiting for it to arrive,i took the opportunity to research the original owner.

His name was Ronald James Cavanagh,born on the 14th November 1910, in Hobart, Tasmania.

He enlisted on the 9th March 1942 in Melbourne,Victoria at the age of 32 which of course was an old man compared with the average age of enlistees at the time.

He was married to Zilda with 2 sons Paul aged 3, Peter aged 1 and a Daughter Suzanne born in 1943.

With previous service with the Royal Australian Navy Reserve as an Able Seaman from 1927 to 1932,he applied and he was accepted by the RAAF on the 7th July 1942 and posted to 1 Aircraft Depot Laverton Air Base, Victoria.

On the 26th of September 1942 he attended and completed an Fitter-Armament School Course and attained the rank of Leading Aircraftman.
    For the next 2 years he served at 1 Aircraft Depot ,Laverton Airbase,Victoria.

At approximately 11.05 on the morning of the 11th December 1944 whilst on a test flight of a RAAF B-25D Mitchell (A47-24) the Chief Observer of the Anglesea Volunteer Air Observer Corps (VAOC) saw the bomber practicising out to sea on the firing range when he saw the bomber catch fire, lose height and drop into the ocean near Anglesea, Victoria.

Out of the 5 crew 3 were killed they were, SQNLDR F.R. McGrill 575 and FLTLT R.A. Wines DFC 402432 and LAC R.J. Cavanagh 51756,the survivors were LAC D.R Roberts 29934 and FLTLT A.G.Claire 273495.

The survivors were thrown clear when the aircraft hit the water,amazingly they only sustained minor injuries.

The remains of the deceased men were not recovered and there is only a plaque at the Sydney War Memorial to honour R.J.Cavanagh and the other two men.

There were plans to recover the aircraft in 2002,but i can find no evidence that it ever occured.

Ronald James Cavanagh,never served overseas during his time in the RAAF,i feel that this might have been because of his age and marital status.I think his death is even more tragic than if it had occured in battle,as i shows how far reaching the effects of War can be.

I somehow feel honoured to have a tangible link to this man,whilst not a true war Hero,a hero all the same that was working to protect the country he loved.

RIP-Lest We Forget.

Here are some scans that i have collected on him,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF   The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF  

The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF   The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF  

The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF   The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF  

Attached Images Attached Images The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF 

Default Re: The Story of R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF

Nice work mate
    Cheers
    Dave

Very nice work indeed!

AIF
    ?

Nice write up Mick! I have been researching my great uncle who was also killed in an accident whilst under going his heavy conversion training over Scotland at the end of 1944. Its amazing what you can find If you know where to look

Luke.

Nice research.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

great thread

Great reading, well done !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Per Ardua Ad Astra
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF  

UPDATE
    Great news,this weekend this Helmet will be going Home to where it belongs.
    It will be returned to Ronald Cavanagh's grandson,and will be reunited with his family where it should be.
    I was contacted by LAC Cavanaghs granddaughter in law,who came across my post by sheer chance.
    I couldnt be more happier,i would love something like this to happen to me.
    Here are a few more pics sent to me by the family.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF   The Story of  R.J.Cavanagh LAC RAAF  

Attached Files Attached Files

Mick, that is a fantastic story and a thoroughly decent act on your behalf to unite this mans wartime helmet with the grandson he never met. I'd like to by you a beer, well done cobber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast