Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

US dogtag found in the Bulge , 2nd Infantry Div!!

Article about: Hi, this is my first thread on this forum, I've found this us dogtag from ww2. I've found this dogtag in the eifel area in the ardennes. he is from the 2nd infantery div. stecz edward A 1311

Default Re: US dogtag found in the Bulge , 2nd Infantry Div!!

Quote by Stecz Milasus View Post
    It has been more than a month with no communication from Panzer and nothing in my mailbox. I am beginning to wonder if he is indeed honorable! I have not told any family members, as I did not want to disappoint. I will continue to pray that Edward Stecz's dog tag can be returned to our family. I have learned from my cousin that he was awarded the Purple Heart and his only surviving sibling , her elderly and ill mother has it. It would be nice to present it to her.
    I do hope this very personal piece is returned-most of us on this forum are decent people with a deep understanding of such things and wouldnt hesitate to return such an item to its rightfull place-with either the man who owned it or indeed his family, grandchildren etc. Its the right thing to do and i hope conscience is the order of the day here and it does go back to where it belongs to one of the heroes who helped free this world from tyranny all those years ago. Best Regards, Tim.

A french digger and i are presently working on the search for 2 Us Vet's families,Since my friend digged up their dogtags...I will give you news asap boys...
    Just to say that for some ,it is a kind of "holly quest".....

He was apparently on 3 days ago....if this is not returned it's not only a case of aquiring some terribly bad karma but also an extremely disrespectful move both towards the deceased and his family.
    If I could return/ID anything that I had I'd jump at the chance of returning it, especially if it belonged to a KIA.. whatever the object.
    Like someone else said earlier, to a collector it's just another object but for the remaining family it's probably an emotional and highly personal remembrance of a loved one.....I could seriously never be so callous and selfish in such a situation.

On the other hand, could it possibly have been mailed and still be on it's way...? France -USA could easily take quite a while to arrive..... A small object like this could also very easily be lost on its way to the recipient....

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    A french digger and i are presently working on the search for 2 Us Vet's families,Since my friend digged up their dogtags...I will give you news asap boys...
    Just to say that for some ,it is a kind of "holly quest".....
    Good project, hope you'll be successful...best of luck!

News!I will be in a couple of days the happy "owner-for-a-day" of 2 GI's sterling chain bracelet,with names and army number engraved on it,plus a word of love at the back of both of them...
    First step was to reach the Bureau of veterans in the US of A,to ask them for the actual adresses of the families,or of the vet himself..
    No way they said,due to respect of privacy...I can understand...
    I have now contact with the attaché militaire of the US Embassy in Paris(he called me on my cellular,me, a phone call from a US LCL!!!!),that will send them back to the GI's descendants,since the family don't seem to want to have contact with us(that's what the bureau said to me)...To be continued.I will post pics tomorrow morning..

Pics as promised...
    I can tell you,these are kind of very moving items,especially for the guys who took them out...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US dogtag found in the Bulge , 2nd Infantry Div!!   US dogtag found in the Bulge , 2nd Infantry Div!!  

US dogtag found in the Bulge , 2nd Infantry Div!!   US dogtag found in the Bulge , 2nd Infantry Div!!  

Just to update those following my story to get get the dog tag of a family member KIA. On 8/30, I sent a private message to Panzer90. I asked if he could explain why there was a delay in returning the dog tag which he publically promised on this site to return. No response. As Christmas nears, I hope he will do the right thing and return Edward Stecz's dog tag to his family! Edward's last surviving sister is 83 and in poor health.

I am editing this, as it seems as though the photo of his grave will not post.

I hope he does the good thing, and sends you the tag. No dug up ID Tag should be in a private collection untill the history is found out. They should be returned to the relatives if possible. I have done so with many named items, and are still working on some other items. The only problems I bump into are the German Erkennungsmarke; they are a bit harder to return.
    As a matter of fact I just returned a bracelet (WW1) to a family in France! Finding dog tags is one thing, but returning them is much more important than having them in a private collection. I can not believe any honorable collector/digger thinking other wise!
    Again I hope your family has the tag back before Christmas!

panzer's last post was in july 2011 i hope he does do the honorable thing but somehow i think he won't not after all this time which is a shame clearly he is not an honorable person

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3